•chapter five•

Jay Halstead had dropped everything when he heard that his best friend was in the hospital

Jay Halstead had dropped everything when he heard that his best friend was in the hospital. Erin hadn't given him any details, just that it was bad. Running in the entrance of the hospital, he stopped to catch his breath, looking around trying to find somebody who could direct him towards his best friend's room. He ran up to the receptionist desk and patiently waited for her to finish the phone call before asking.

"Hi, I'm looking for Madeline Johnson, she was brought in an hour ago, and blonde woman was with her."

"She's in room four."

His heart started to race as he walked down the corridor, not knowing what to expect. He wasn't prepared to see his best friend in pain and as he turned the corner into her room, there was nothing he could have done to prepare himself at the sight of his best friend. She had a black eye, that was more yellow than anything, cuts all over her arms and face, and a cast around her left arm. Just as he sat down on the chair next to her bed, grabbing a hold of her hand, placing a kiss on it, Erin walked in the room.

"This is the worst I've seen her Jay. We need to do something about that boyfriend of hers otherwise the next time she comes into the ED will be on her way to the morgue."

The Halstead detective tore his gaze away from the sleeping girl and looked at the blonde, trying to keep the tears at bay.

"I know Erin. I'm gonna talk to her when she wakes up and hope that she lets me help this time."

"She's pregnant Jay. It's not just her anymore."

With the last comment the blonde haired detective left the room, going to visit Voight to discuss what to do, knowing that Jay would want to be alone when the brunette woke up. Jay had made himself comfortable in the chair, his jacket draped over him, when Madeline woke up. She couldn't help the smile on her face when she saw him, appreciating the fact that he was there. As she tried to sit up, she let out a small moan, not expecting the pain that she was feeling as she moved about, Jay woke up, on high alert as he heard the noise. He leant forward and placed a kiss on the girl's forehead, letting out a sigh of relief, before sitting back down and becoming angry, not at her, but at the man who had put her here.

"How are you doing?"

Madeline smiled at her best friend, grabbing his hand and rubbing her thumb over his knuckles, the physical contact distracting her slightly from the physical pain.

"I'm fine."

"You know you're pregnant right?"

"I know I am. It's why I'm here. I told him and he wasn't too happy. Claimed it wasn't his and that I'm a whore. I started to scream when he started to hit me. I'm going to assume that Erin brought me here, I blacked out when I saw her run in."

"Hey you know that's not true right? You're anything but a whore. Are you, are you, gonna keep it?"

"Yeah I am."