•chapter seven•

The Johnson detective had never driven so fast in her life

The Johnson detective had never driven so fast in her life. She didn't care how many laws she broke - she knew she needed to get to the bakery in as little time as possible. She had barely stopped the car and Antonio was already running in the door towards his wife. As she entered the crowded bakery she shouted to Voight - asking him what he already knew - all while sending sympathetic looks towards the Dawsons.

"No cameras in the alley, we're checking the streets on both sides for ATM videos"

Madeline had a comforting arm thrown around Tonio's wife - the tears and the pained expression on her face breaking the detectives heart.

"What about the neighbours?

"One gave us a white van but no license, no driver description, nothing."

Voight looked at the couple in front of him, and was saddened at the scene. One of his close friends and his wife were hurting and he was going to do everything in his power to bring their son back.

"Detectives are rolling, squads are canvassing the area and knocking on doors checking for cameras. Someones on the pods right now"

Antonio was struggling to keep his emotions in check. He was extremely worried and the guilt was getting the better of him - but he knew he had to try and keep it together for his wife.

"We have security cameras out front but nothing in the alley."

The older Sergeant nodded his head, stating that he had already checked that which is why he was going down other routes - trying to do everything he could to speed up finding the detectives son. All of a sudden the group of people heard a commotion by the entrance and saw a man waving around a piece of paper speaking quickly in Spanish to try and get everyone's attention. They rushed over, telling the patrol officers to let him in, the note being handed to Dawson who paused before he read it aloud.

"Pulpo free by midnight or your son dies."

The brunette detective looked at Voight - a look saying to do whatever he needed to do to get Diego back - she didn't care what lines he had to cross, all she cared about was getting the little boy back to his parents, safe and sound. She grabbed her best friend and dragged him to the car, pushing him in the passenger seat and walking around to get in and started to drive back to the district. As she pulled up - staying in the car herself as she had to help Erin with something - she turned to him.

"Do what you have to, to bring Diego home, Tonio. Forget the lines, forget the boundaries. Bring him home."

He turned to the only other woman he could wholeheartedly trust, a determined yet heartbroken look in his eyes.

"Will you be there to help?"

Madeline spoke with the upmost seriousness and honesty as she made him a promise.

"Give me forty five minutes and I swear to God, I'll help you with anything you need me to."

🚔                                                                     🚔

The brunette detective pulled up outside of the house and took a deep breath as she came to a stop

The brunette detective pulled up outside of the house and took a deep breath as she came to a stop. She stepped out of the car and walked over to Erin, hands shaking as she did. The blonde detective noticed the sadness and anxiousness that Madeline was radiating off of her and a frown fell on her face knowing she couldn't do anything to help.

"You sure you want to do this Mads? You can wait in the car if you want to."

The girl in question looked at the house and then back at Erin, lip quivering slightly before she took another deep breath and tried to pull herself together.

"She was family Erin. I want to be here and tell him with you."

The Lindsay girl nodded and sent a sad smile her way, both of them making their way up the stairs, hesitating before Madeline knocked on the door. To make the situation worse, two kids answered the door with smiles on their faces.

"Auntie Maddy! Auntie Erin!"

Both the detectives hearts broke as they saw how happy the kids looked, knowing that soon, they would be devastated. Erin took over, knowing that the Johnson girl would crumble if she spoke.

"Emmy, Liam, hey. Is your dad home?"

The little girl turned around shouting for her dad who was already walking towards the front door. As soon as he looked at the two women, one who couldn't even make eye contact with him, he knew something bad had happened so he sent his kids inside to carry on playing. Erin tried to get the words out, Madeline really not being much help, but Alec knew what they were trying to say and couldn't help but break down on the doorstep. He closed the door behind him and looked at both the girls, specifically Madeline who had finally looked him in the eye.

"We're so sorry Alec, so so sorry."

The man in front of them collapsed into Erin's arms, with the detective wrapping him in a hug, making eye contact with the brunette behind her, who was trying not to cry at the scene in front of her. Madeline placed a hand on the heartbroken man's shoulder and as he turned around, decided to make him a promise there and then, and my god she was going to stick with it.

"We'll get the guys who did this to her. I promise you. I won't stop until we do."

The man nodded and took the younger girl in for a hug. The Johnson detective tightened her arms around him, further solidifying that she meant what she said and that alone gave the devastated man a little bit of hope that justice would be served.

🚔 🚔

hey! i am so so sorry for disappearing on everyone (its been a rough time). i know that there were people who wanted me to update. i'm back and hopefully the updates will be more regular if you guys are still up for reading! here's a quick chapter just to prove i'm back! hope you enjoy!