•chapter three•

The pair of detectives were sat in the car, the female driving while the man tried not to laugh at how angry she was at him

"De, come on! I'll make you another one when we get back. I promise!"

The Johnson girl smiled at the man knowing that he probably would make her one. Jay noticed the smile and knew he had won, and turned to face the girl, trying not to admire the concentrated look she had on her face, the one she wore every time she was driving.

"How long have we worked together? A month? I think it's time we be honest with each other. Wouldn't you agree?"

Madeline diverted her attention from the road for a second to send the Halstead man a deadpan look before shaking her head, sensing the sarcastic undertone in his words.

"Two things. One, you driving all the time, I'm not down with that."

"Seniority rules."

Jay sent a semi-shocked look at his best friend, confused at how she thought she was the senior detective in the car.

"I've been on the job longer."

"I've been in the unit longer."

Jay huffed knowing that he had lost that one, just trying to find a way that would let him drive the car. He hated being passenger, and truthfully, Madeline wasn't the best driver in the world, but he didn't want to hurt her feelings and therefore kept his opinion to himself.

"Okay, look, I feel like a house husband."

"You? A house husband? Yeah, okay and I'm lactose intolerant. What's the second thing?"

Jay scoffed at her comment but didn't bother to correct her. The idea of being a house husband was something that he hated. He liked the action of his job, he liked the adrenaline rush he got, he would never be able to be a house husband.

"What's the deal with you, Erin and Voight?"

Madeline pulled up on the street the shop was on and cut the engine, taking her seatbelt off and turned to fully face Jay. She knew this conversation was coming, it was a common query in the unit on why her, Erin and Voight were so close.

"This stays between us?"

Jay grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze, wanting her to know that she could fully trust him to keep whatever secret she was going to tell him.

"Of course."

"I don't know the full story of Erin and Hank because she was there before I was. But, I grew up on the streets, from the age of 10 to about 18, before I found a job, of sorts, and that gave me enough to put a roof over my head. I was 20 when I met Hank and he felt sorry for me. My little flat back then wasn't the best to live in, so he took me in, found me a better job, put me through the academy and that was that."