•chapter four•

Hank walked out of the office and towards Madeline's desk, wanting her to be there when they walked the kid out, knowing that she would be able to persuade him to talk

"Hey, Johnny, you're coming with me."

The detective in question looked up from her computer and looked at Hank shocked. He normally took Erin with him whenever he went anywhere, not that Madeline minded, she knew what Hank was like and although she loved him like a father, she would rather not know.

"Uh, why?"

"Because I want you too."

She smiled softly and stood up from her desk and followed him to wherever it was he was taking her. It finally clicked about why Hank needed her when they walked into the interrogations room. Hank wanted her to help him persuade the kid to talk.

"Your cousin is here, come on kid."

The Johnson girl smiled at the you boy, not knowing exactly how he felt, but relating to being a situation that you wanted to get out of but had no clue how to. She followed behind the pair until they were outside and looked around, seeing the car there ready to pick the poor kid up. Hank pulled the kid away from the car, to a place where they wouldn't be interrupted and spoke to him.

"You know, I basically look people in the eye for a living. You have a future beyond this neighbourhood D'Anthony. It's okay to want that. When you start to try and get out, whenever that is, you call me, or her."

The man pointed at the female next to him before handing the young kid his card. Madeline stepped forward, handing her card to him and smiled as he took it.

"Hey kiddo, you call me, day or night, and I'll help you. I was in a similar situation to you, was in a situation I couldn't get out of, but I asked for help, and now look at me. I know you want to get out, so please call one of us, and we can help you, we can protect you."

She could see in the boys eyes that he wanted to accept their help, and if they had enough time, he probably would have stayed, but he heard his cousin calling and ran off, but took both the cards before he did so, making the pair smile sadly, hoping that he would call. The brunette detective turned her head to face Hank, the man who had done the same for her.

"Thank you, for giving me your card back then. For pushing me to accept your help."

"Are you going to accept my help now?"

Madeline looked at the older man confused, not understanding what he was talking about.

"I know George isn't a good man. I've seen the bruises, and you never told me what the results were. All I saw was you come out of the break room close to tears, and Erin making you a hot chocolate, which I know she only does when you're upset, because you don't like the way she uses more water than milk."