8 | Another Dumb Confrontation

Will and Hazel had made it to the top floor of the Big House and were surprised to hear music coming from the inside of a room. The Big House had been largely expanded, turned into some kind of giant castle that, well, perfectly fit Nico's personality. The black stone spoke for itself.

The music coming from inside the double doors that led to the room sounded like something you'd hear at the circus, accompanied by bells, drums, and a trumpet of sorts. Hazel and Will hesitantly looked at each other before nudging the door open a crack, peaking into the room.

It seemed like some sort of throne room, Nico seated in a giant obsidian throne, Percy sitting on his lap and cuddling into him, a crown of black and red shadows resting on his head. A smirk was fixed onto the son of Hades' face.

That wasn't the shocking part though, more so what was surely the cause of Nico's smirk. Annabeth wore a black and white checkered jumpsuit, a fluffy, tulle, red tutu around her waist with silver bells on the hem. A cap and bells rested on a her head, the color of the cap the same color as her tutu. White powder was painted on her face along with a large, red, fake smile, though her real mouth was twisted into a large frown.

She was some kind jester, a form of entertainment to Nico.

The only reason Will was able to recognize the daughter of Athena was her stormy grey eyes and her curly blonde hair fixed into two pigtails. Will had last seen Annabeth in that pink and white maid outfit, but it appeared Nico decided to give her a little... career change.

Annabeth looked miserable, but she was doing some sort of quick, clumsy dance, struggling to play a trumpet at the same time. Will looked around to see that many campers that Nico no doubt mind controlled throwing all sorts of rotten fruits and vegetables at her.

Will and Hazel looked at each other with a look of horror. Annabeth would never dream of doing this, her pride wouldn't permit it. This had to be one of the lowest moments in her life... honestly, that's saying a lot. Especially with Percy calmly staring at her, cuddling into Nico.

That led Will to wonder if Nico was literally forcing her to do this, or if she was being hypnotized, like everyone else. Will guessed the latter, but he could never be quite sure.

Hazel's mouth was agape, eyes wide as she stared at the scene in front of her. She couldn't believe her brother was capable of such cruelty towards his own friends.

"Should we do something?" Hazel whispered, turning to Will.

"I-I'm not sure," He stuttered. His boyfriend. His Ghost King. Doing this.

Their question was answered though when Will found himself leaning too far on the door, sending it flying open. Will and Hazel stumbled forward, immediately freezing, just like the rest of the room.

Everyone was staring at them.

Out of the corner of his eye, Will saw Annabeth scurry away, but he barely gave it a second thought.

Hazel cursed under her breath in a very un-Hazel-like way, surprising Will. Hazel swearing was the least of his concerns at the moment though.

"Well," Nico said, his surprised expression twisting into a madman's grin, "Look who it is. My dumbass ex, and my traitorous step-sister... I knew you'd betray me, you're too good. I didn't think it'd be so soon though." Nico tilted his head, clearly amused.

The words hurt, but the two forced themselves to hold their ground.

"Nico-" Will said, holding his hands out, trying to reason with the Italian, "-Nico this isn't you. I know you're in there. I-I'm here. It's Will, Nico... it's Sunshine."

"I fucking know you're Will," Nico rolled his eyes, "Why do you think I called you a dumbass?"

Will sighed, averting his eyes to the ground. He should know by now that trying to reason was useless.

Nico opened his mouth, but before he could say anything, Hazel whipped around and took off, forcing Will to follow behind as they took off down the halls. They continued to sprint, running away from the person they thought they'd never have to.

They turned a hallway, and-

"Oof!" Will yelled, flying to the ground. He looked up to see that he had run into none other than Annabeth, Jester outfit and all.

"Annabeth," Will gasped. Out of everyone in Camp, Will knew he'd have the best luck with her. "Annabeth, you need to come with us. We can help you!"

"We know you don't want to do this," Hazel said, "We know Nico is a... a monster. Or at least he's been made into one. We can help you escape him, restore Camp."

Annabeth wordlessly looked between Will and Hazel, eyes wide. She opened her mouth, shut it, swallowed, opened her mouth again, and just as Will thought the daughter of Athena would agree-

"NICO! GUARDS! THE TRAITORS ARE HERE!" Annabeth screamed.

"Shit," Will hissed. He tried to stumble up, but he found Annabeth had a tight grip around his arm. She may have lost her pride, but her strength remained.

"Run!" Will said, looking over at Hazel.

"I- I can't leave you," Hazel said, looking down at her hands. Will knew Hazel could easily use her powers to get them out of this, but she clearly didn't want to hurt Annabeth.

"You have to!" Will said, struggling against Annabeth who desperately held onto him.

"NICO!" Annabeth screamed again.

Will heard dozens of feet padding against the ground. Will quickly turned back to Hazel. "Run! We have no hope if you get caught too!"

Hazel hesitated, mouthed a 'sorry,' then spun around, running away just as Nico, Percy, and half a dozen demigod guards entered the hall where Annabeth held onto Will. Immediately the guards rushed forward, all restraining Will and placing power dampening cuffs on him.

Nico grinned. "Well done, Jester. You can eat at the head table tonight," He said, flicking one of the bells on Annabeth's cap. Nico turned to Will, licking his lips. "And as for you- it's time to permanently get you out of my way."

Nico drew his sword, pressing the blade against Will's neck with far too much joy on his face.

This was it.