Entry 11

No rain. The herds have moved on, yet Scar refuses to budge. Pride Rock is his only form of power right now. He has no queen. No honor, except that from hyenas, and that only because he lets them run wild. We are starving, and they don't care. Hyenas eat most of what we catch, which isn't much at all. I'm a full lioness now. Funny how it doesn't matter so much anymore. No food means no hunts. No hunts means no opportunities to use the skills being a lioness gives. Most of us stay in our cave now, except those who want to escape the dismal atmosphere in there. We go to trees. Leafless, to be sure, but these skeleton trees remind me of what we have lost. The thought that we might win it back is what keeps me going, even on an empty stomach. Scar has made a mistake: he kept us around. Without us, there is no pride, but with us, he is constantly around enemies. All of us are waiting for some sign that we should throw Scar down. But none comes. And now, I fear for out resolve. It's been so long. The first sign of weakness was in Zima. She started talking of how Scar might be GOOD, and how he is our king, a royal. I looked straight into her eyes. It scared me. There was no hope there. Only sadness and evil. Scar had gotten to her mind. She had fallen. I know I should have just tried to get her back, but I knew she was too far gone. I changed her name. In front of all the lionesses, I changed her name from Zima to Zira, shaming her forever. The other lionesses made no move to stop me. Not even Sarabi. But Zira looked at me with hatred. Scar had made his second mistake. He has taken my friend from her pride. I will never forget this day.

I am Nala.