Void

The final event of the tournament had ended, and the winner had been declared. Students across the grounds were coming off a week-long adrenaline high and could finally rest. Some went directly to bed, while others barely reached their common rooms, much less their beds. The entire group of friends was fortunate to have made it to one of the few lounge areas around the castle and hadn't moved since the winter gauntlet had officially ended. Charlie didn't even make it to one of the couches as she collapsed onto the floor with a chorus of groans to follow as her friends joined her. She knew it wasn't statistically possible for her body to be one big bruise, but that was exactly how she felt. "How are we still alive?" Charlie panted from her spot on the floor, now accompanied by Igor.

"Nothing important is broken, and all your injuries are relatively minor. I think you all survived quite well." Yellena commended. She was the only one in an energetic mood due to the fact she was allowed to opt out of the gauntlet this year to assist in the infirmary. "Shouldn't be too much trouble putting you back together." She chuckled as she pushed her round glasses up her nose while going through her medical bag and setting up her small corner of magical and muggle first aid supplies.

Charlie shook her head. "And you do this every year?" She questioned as she glanced at the graduating students while Yellena tended to her sprained and swollen ankle.

"Welcome to the madness." Helga cheered, raising a limp first in the air before it dramatically dropped back down. "Congratulations to Ghita for another win, of course. Don't think I didn't see when Charlie had you thrown halfway across the arena." she taunted from the safety of Viv's lap.

A lazy smile crossed Ghita's face as she ran her fingers absently through Magnus's curls while the two lounged on the lush leather couch with Magnus fast asleep with his head in her lap. "It definitely was a surprise. Most years, I don't have to worry about a first year in the ring." She admitted, tossing Charlie a proud smile.

"My reputation did most of the fighting. Some refused to step in the ring with me, and others clearly had never dueled a day in their life." Charlie deflected before looking over at Igor. "Sorry."

"Why make the first years participate in any of the martial magic or fighting challenges in the first place?" Igor huffed as Yellena was basically covering the boy in bruise cream from head to toe after she checked for a concussion. "We have no training and don't even start until our second year." He ranted before wincing when Yellena healed his broken finger with a rather gruesome crack.

Viv raised her finger to chime in. "Skills assessment. It helps Orlov and Balog better understand your skill level and how much they need to push you," she explained as Yellena put her arm in a sling while the other remained wrapped around Helga, who had curled up in her lap.

"Or break you," Nia added with a shrug as she held a small handkerchief to her bloody nose.

The dramatic comment caused Viktor to roll his eyes with a chuckle from his spot lounging in a crimson armchair. "I'm sure the only reason I won the preliminary brackets is because Charlie fought with the first years and all the training we did over Christmas." He hummed, tossing the girl a tired thank you.

"How come you didn't train me?" Igor huffed as he angrily nudged the girl beside him.

"Charms first." Charlie countered with a playful shove. "Anyone else notice all the professors placing bets before the final match?" she wondered as she saw practically every member of the faculty arguing over the order in which they would lose and how. "I saw Balog and Orlov bickering like children for nearly twenty minutes." Seven of their best students were about to fight for victory by any means necessary that didn't result in death. The two must have had quite the debate.