Detention

Charlie had only two nights left of detention and still couldn't figure out why everyone was so terrified of running along a trail through the woods. As long as you stayed on the beaten path and ignored any weird noises the only real concern was not freezing to death. Charlie was so frail, Orlov had allowed her to wear a sweater along with a hat and mittens under heavy advisement from the head nurse.

Tonight was just like every other night as Charlie was sprinting as fast as she could through the woods clutching her wand as it was the only source of light that she had. The moon was only a sliver and was partially hidden behind the looming pine trees that surrounded her. They swayed in the wind causing the entire forest to creak and moan as the needles rustled together. The wind blew in powerful gusts as the large trunks created a frozen wind tunnel that made the wind stronger than normal. Her eyes were slightly watering as she stopped as soon as the howling of the wind was harmonized by the howling of wolves.

Her fast pace came to an abrupt halt in attempt to catch her breath while Charlie attempted to figure out where the wolves were coming from. "Knox." She whispered as she stood silently in the middle of the trail. She had not seen Malik since he sped off ahead of her and part of her assumed that he had already made it back by taking a short cut. That just meant she was out here alone, again.

The pack of wolves she had been listening for appeared to her left, paying her no mind as they ran fifty feet from the beaten path. They paid the young witch no mind as her scent wasn't the one they were after. Why go for the tiny creature who couldn't even feed their pups, when a much larger meal was farther down the trail?

Charlie placed a hand over her mouth as she didn't move a single step as she saw dark shapes dart past her a mere half a kilometer away. She hoped they didn't catch her scent or simply stayed unbothered by her as she watched them run past. She waited another couple of minutes before raising her wand. "Lumos." She chattered as she started to slowly jog along the trail, trying to make as little noise as possible on the frozen snow. Nearly a whole week of nothing, and now she had to deal with a pack of wolves.

When a scream echoed through the woods, Charlie's steady pace burst into a full sprint. She was familiar with the screams of someone in agony, and it never failed to send a chill down her spine. To make things worse, Malik didn't have his wand. He may be an ass, but he didn't deserve to be mauled to death by a bunch of wolves.

The wolves surrounded Malik with ease once the beasts knew they weren't in any danger from any spellwork. The massive dark haired beasts were biting and pulling at anything they could get their teeth on and in mere seconds Malik was yanked to the ground. His screams grew even louder as one wolf latched onto his arm and refused to let go.

"Help me!" Malik screamed between sobbing wails as blood started to stain the pure white snow a bright and violent red.

Charlie charged forward ignoring the fear of possibly being eaten or mauled before raising her wand once she was close enough. "Immobulus!" She cried out only to gain the attention of the pack before they all froze in place. She wove around the wolves trying not to touch them before hauling Malik to his feet.
"Can you run?" She questioned as she kept her eyes on the wolves for any movement. She had learned the spell in theory, but had never actually used it.

"I can barely walk." He hissed as his whole body was covered in bite marks. It was a miracle he could even get to his feet, much less walk.

Charlie looked back and put his arm over her shoulders. "Use me as a crutch." She grunted being far smaller than the boy in both height and weight. "We need to keep moving." She panicked seeing one of the wolf's ears twitch at the sound of her voice.

"You are going to get us both killed! You even have your damn wand." He barked as they struggled to move forward.

"I could have let them eat you!" She snapped as she had one arm latched around his back and the other gripping her wand. She would glance back every couple of seconds as she pushed Malik to move faster. They were leaving a trail of blood, and Charlie didn't want to see what else lurked in the forest. "We should be almost to the end." She grunted as she nearly slipped and fell. Charlie was using every ounce of strength to keep them moving and get as far away from the wolves as possible. As they started to near the end of the trail the forest around them started to get thinner as the top of the castle came into view.