seven

"I-Isaac

"I-Isaac." 

My head immediately fills with a vision of Stanley Hudson from The Office asking one of the most infamous lines of his. "Did I stutter?"

Yes, yes, you did Juniper. After three years without uttering a single word to each other, you stuttered your first words to Isaac. Well fucking done. 

Insert mental facepalm.

I can't help but discreetly check him out though and wow, all that time in Florida did good things for him. His chocolate brown curls looked lightened, probably from all that time under the sun, and from what little was visible under his Nike sweatsuit, his skin was several shades tanner from the last time I saw him. In other words, he looked like an absolute snack.

Amber eyes that didn't belong to Gen pin my gaze, the honeyed depths churning with an unreadable emotion.

"I'm sorry, are we interrupting?" he bites out softly. The low tone of his voice doesn't make the menace in it any less, however.  

He glances at Tristan who was still asleep, making his meaning clear. Fucking hell, he thought I was fooling around with his cousin before they got here. But, I could see why he thought that. Tristan was only in a pair of sweats and I was in my ridiculously revealing and diaphanous nightie. And we were knocked out cold on the sofa, my legs entangled around his midriff. Things could literally not look worse than they did right now.

I almost say, "It's not what it looks like," but then think back to all the movies I've watched and realize that every time someone has ever said that line, it usually ends up being exactly what it happens to look like. I wasn't trying to put myself in deeper shit than I was already in, so I wisely modify my word choice before opening my mouth. Shaking my head slowly, I speak tentatively, "We weren't doing anything for you to interrupt."

"Right."

Okay, so he was comprehensively pissed at me and understandably so, especially after what I pulled three years back. And now this whole situation was only adding fuel to the fire. But even when his harshness towards me was completely justified, it didn't help to ease the painful tightness in my chest.

Well, if I was going to somehow clarify everything I would need Tristan's help doing so. I scoot over to him and give his shoulder a shove a lot harder than necessary, "Get up." 

He startles awake and frowns at the hard tone of my voice, "What did I—" He finally catches sight of our visitors, and his eyes widen, jaw dropping a little.

"Oh." Clearing his throat, he eyes Isaac warily, "Hey, Isaac... long time no see."

Isaac disregards him completely and keeps his glare aimed at me. Okay, then.

I plop back in my seat, tucking my bare legs under me and crossing my arms across my chest. That's the last time I would be walking around in skimpy nighties like the one I was in now. Not knowing where to look, I fix my gaze on a clock in the far end of the room. Normally I would panic upon seeing that it was already 11:37 am but it was a Tuesday, which luckily, meant that I only had a few late afternoon classes.