twelve

"You're going

"You're going."

"Gen, for the millionth fucking time— I'm not going."

"I was telling, not asking."

Groaning in exasperation, I throw an irritated look over my shoulder at my stubborn assed cousin, but she just crosses her arms defiantly and scowls. 

I finish washing the last of the dishes I had used to make Gen's favorite lasagna since June had her over for dinner today and take my time drying my hands. 

"You done pestering me yet?"

"Not until you give me a solid yes I'm not."

Sighing, I turn to her, "Does the city even have beaches?"

Gen rolls her eyes, "Don't be a dumbass, of course it does. We just have to drive for kind of a super long time."

"Well, I can't go."

Scoffing, she sears me with a pissed off look, but I don't miss the slight hurt underneath it, "Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot you're so fucking busy nowadays doing what you do that you don't even have time to spend with your favorite cousin!"

I decided that it wouldn't be the best time to point out that her and Isaac were my only cousins as far as I was concerned. And it wasn't really a mystery who I liked better especially considering the circumstances— circumstances being the feisty blonde vixen I now lived with. 

Guilt gnaws at me because I seriously couldn't stand upsetting my baby cousin especially after everything she's done for me. And so, I do a quick look around to make sure June is still in her room, taking a shower and not around to hear.

"Gen, I have a, you know, a 'thing' to attend that day."

Disapproval coats her features at the secrecy in my hushed tone and at the codename I use. Shaking her head, she tsks, "You still didn't tell her about that?"

We both knew that the 'she' being discussed was June so I raise my brows at her as if she's crazy, "Obviously not, she'd totally freak out."

"You don't give my best friend enough credit— she's a lot tougher than she seems."

I frown, "I didn't mean she isn't—"

Gen cuts me off, "Plus, it's a given courtesy to, like, you know, let the person you live with know what you're out at night doing for a living."

Man, she always knew how to get to me and make me feel like a fucking misbehaved kid.  

"I won't keep her in the dark forever," I amend meekly. "I'll just tell her when the time is right."

"Well, tell her sooner than later because my girl is one smart bitch and I don't like keeping things from her."

"Deal. Now, is that all?"