Chapter 14

Nate's POV

Picture Is How Alice Looks As A Siren!! (I even found a picture of one with no seashell bra, lol!)

I saw Rose drag Alice down and didn't think anything of it. However, when I saw them come up a long ways away and start talking, I got a little more worried. I swam over to uncle Catt only to be hushed by him. "Shh, the water carries the sound better, I'm trying to listen to what they're saying." I stayed completely silent, I didn't move a muscle and I hardly breathed. When he had obviously heard enough he turned to face me in the water and he looked hurt and confused. "What did they say?" My curiosity was killing me, especially when he looked disappointed.

"I couldn't hear all of it, they were too far away, Alice is worried about the full moon tonight. Rose says they will handle it like they always do but Alice doesn't want us to know. That's it." He said. I was confused, the moon shouldn't matter, it didn't even matter to wolves and the moon was the center of the stories for werewolves. "Do you know what that means?" I asked slowly. He practically walked with the dinosaurs, he had to know what it meant but he looked just as confused as I did. "I know the moon has an effect on some mermaids, I just can't remember what the effect is and what group of mermaids it targets."

We didn't have any more time to talk about it because the girls were coming back and we didn't want them to know that we were talking about it. When they got back, Alice looked freaked out and she kept staring at the sun that was working its way down. Rose herded us out of the water and the girls quickly drug themselves up to the dry sand. As soon as Alice was out of the water, she stared at the sky and closed her eyes. Using the last of the sunlight, she made it scorching hot. They were up and dry in record times and my uncle looked horrified. He quickly grabbed Rose by the arm and drug her away from Alice and I so they could talk.

Alice looked jittery and she couldn't seem to hold still. Finally she yelled for her mom. "Mom come on! We have to go!" I was confused, why did they have to leave now, I thought they were going to stay for dinner. "Do you have to go right now? I thought you were staying for dinner." I questioned her. I wanted to know what was going on. "I forgot what day it was and there's just something that I can't get out of. I'm sorry." Rose ran over and she looked a little upset. "Is everything-" I started to ask, but Rose just gave me a tight lipped smile and ran back to the front of the house to get the car and leave.

"I didn't know Alice could manipulate the weather." My uncle said coming to stand next to me. "I guess it never came up in any conversations." I replied, I didn't understand what was going on and I was starting to get irritated. "I remembered what the moon means." I was about to ask but he continued. "Alice can manipulate weather. That is considered a gift, a gift that she has to pay for. On the full moon, those mermaids are forced to transform into their monstrous selves. They look evil and they are evil. They can't be controlled and they kill everything that breathes. Rose is going to lock Alice in the basement and barricade the door."

Just like that, a light bulb went off. "That's why you pulled Rose aside. You wanted to see if she was safe with Alice. That's why Alice wanted to get out of here in a hurry. She told me she forgot what day it was and she told me she couldn't get out of it, she was talking about being locked up!" I ran my hand through my hair. "So does Rose know that you know what's up then?" I wanted to know because Alice obviously didn't want anyone to know. "Yes, Rose knows that I know, I told her that I wanted to be there with her, just in case, but she shot me down."

I thought about what that meant. Rose usually had Alice's dad to help her, what if she really did need help and she was alone? I sighed. "I know where she lives, I can get us there but Rose is going to be furious." I wanted him to know that Rose would be pissed, he didn't need to screw with things on the first day of their relationship if he was worried about it. He looked pretty torn but in the end he huffed and faced me. "Yeah. Better safe than sorry, they got a late start on going home, I want to make sure that Rose is able to keep her contained in the basement."

I nodded and we got our regular clothes on and went to hop in his truck. When we got to their house, my anxiety spiked and uncle Catt didn't look all that enthused either. The front door was wide open and none of the lights were on. The door was the number one giveaway that something was wrong, but the fact that Alice cant handle the dark and there are no lights, that was extremely alarming. My uncle Catt walked in the house first and I followed behind. We were both extremely quiet, hoping to hear noise that could give them away. "In the basement. Go, now!" My uncle suddenly said before zooming down the stairs connected to the kitchen.

When I got down the stairs it was utter chaos. I froze when I saw Alice. Her tail had spikes coming out of the sides, her nails and teeth were sharpened to a point, and her eyes looked reptilian. She looked horrifying. My uncle tried to restrain her when she reached for Rose and she stabbed him in the stomach with her claws. He immediately started to lose blood, but managed to pin her on the ground with her hands behind her back. She may be strong, but it's nearly impossible to beat a vampire in a strength competition. I ran back to the truck and grabbed the silver chains in the back of my uncle's truck.

I had to use the sleeves of my hoodie to carry that chains, but it was the only thing I could think of using to get her restrained properly and not hurt her in the process. I tossed the chains to my uncle and he quickly started wrapping them around her wrists. She was putting up quite the fight, she was squirming and hissing like an eel. When he had the chains securely around her, he turned her over so she wouldn't be in pain and she bit down on his arm hard enough to hear the bone crack. I didn't think before I acted and I ran over to help him. I didn't know how to get her to calm down so I did what I thought was the best call. I grabbed her head and slammed it into the ground, effectively knocking her out.

Rose's POV

I drove as fast as I could. The sun was almost down and when it was completely gone, she would turn into an uncontrollable siren. She would kill me and not be able to stop herself. When her pupils began to go from normal to slits and back to normal, I began to panic a little. I knew I wasn't going to have enough time to get her to the basement and get out before she lost it. I dragged a hyperventilating Alice out of the car and didn't bother closing the front door, we were running out of time. Just as I got to the stairs, she let out a scream of pain from the forced shift. I couldn't imagine how bad it must hurt.

When she had a tail instead of legs, I knew I was out of time. I had to drag her down the stairs and just when I was setting her down, she looked up with feral eyes and slashed my wrist when I tried to back away. I began to panic when she started dragging her body towards me, but at that moment, Catt came racing down my stairs and tried to get her to stop moving. I tried to put pressure on my wrist to stop the bleeding but it wasn't working. I looked up to see Catt bleeding heavily in his stomach and he was practically sitting on her back and pinning her hands behind her to try to get her to stop. Just then, Nate ran down the stairs with chains and tossed them to Catt.

He wasted no time in wrapping her wrists together and when he tried to move her she bit down on his wrist hard enough for the sound of bones breaking to ring through the basement. He groaned in pain and Nate ran in to help. I think I was in shock. This has never happened before and if I'm going to be completely honest, it was a little scary. My jaw dropped when I witnessed Nate knock her head into the floor, I was a little surprised he could do it at all. Catt fell backwards and grabbed the stab wound in his stomach with his good hand. He was breathing heavily and he had sweat rolling down his forehead. Just because they're hard to kill, doesn't mean they don't feel pain when something happens.

I looked down at my wrist, I knew what I had to do, I just didn't really want to do it. When a vampire drinks a beloveds blood, it feels almost as good as having sex and it was an extremely intimate situation. I knew he needed blood though. I ran over to his side to help him up. "Come on, let's go sit upstairs. You need blood." At the mention of blood his eyes turned a deep red but he shook his head and his eyes went back to their dusty brown color. "No, I don't want to feed from you because I have to. I want to feed from you because you want me to."

I just rolled my eyes at him. "While I admire what you just said, I want to help you. Stand up so we can go upstairs." He shook his head at me again but stood up anyway. Nate helped me get him up the stairs and seated on the couch. "Please." I begged him, "I want you to feed. I want to help you. Please let me help you." He looked so torn that I almost felt bad for putting him in this position but I knew it needed to be done. He sighed and gently pulled me onto his lap and while keeping eye contact with me the whole time, he pressed his lips to the cut in my wrist and slowly began to suck the blood out of my wrist.