Chapter 1 : A Pleasant Noise

1-1

This sound, by some, is described as irritating, noisy, or drowning. Irritating in a sense that creating such commotion inappropriately would be unethical and deemed disrespectful. Noisy in a sense that a few classify such sound as a meaningless pandemonium. Drowning in a sense that the seemingly everlasting noise negates and neutralizes any other ambient sound or word. A sound so agitating, even our thoughts could be interrupted.

However, for me, I like hearing this noise. I love hearing this noise. This noise has a unique purpose I might never live without. Such an unpleasant sound can give me validation, even for just a few minutes. This sound turned into an indicator I was doing something right. For me, this was not any irksome and ear-ringing uproar. I always want to hear this whenever I get the chance to.

Before I could even realize and ponder about it, the noise has completely drowned out my thoughts, and I found myself working extremely hard just to hear this sound. During such an exhilarating moment, I may have told myself I was living just to let this sound hit my ears.

But this time, something else was clouding up my mind.

This lone thought was unbelievably strong; it would stand out, even if you placed it into the core of the loud noise. Because of this, I was able to keep my head above the water and prevent myself from drowning.

1-2

The sky filled my vision. Any minute, the orange hue from the sun will disappear, and the day will get hotter and hotter. I wanted to reach my destination as soon as possible because, in the Philippines, the heat from the sun is severely irritating. It was an early morning in June for me, so my body still desired the comfort of a bed.

Even though this would be the start of my fourth year as a high school student, the first day of school always felt new. If I finally finish this school year, I will have to go to college... or something along those lines.

If I kept staring into space, I might bump into an electrical pole, and so I faced forward. The rows of houses, one by one, disappeared into the corner of my eyes. Sometimes, a person would come out of those abodes, rarely, a student who went to the same school as me.

I carefully rubbed the gound off my eyes with my school bag and a guitar bag in tow, inching closer and closer to my destination.

"June...!" A distant voice echoed. Since it was still early in the morning, this distant voice was a little loud. I stopped dead in my tracks, realizing I may have forgotten something.

"June! Hoy!"

No, it wasn't my school ID or a notebook.

"June! Wha... what the hell...?" After closing the distance, it was discernable whose voice it was. A girl halted beside me, wiping the sweat off her forehead as she panted. She fanned herself with her school uniform. The glare piercing right through me instantly brought me back to my senses.

"C-Chloe! Sorry... I forgot to wait for you. You see, I'm still a little tired right now..." 

"I waited for a while in front of your house, y'know? I thought ya were still inside. Good thing I saw the gate was already locked. Ah, jeez... I'm all sweaty already... I'm not even inside the school yet." She took a handkerchief from the pocket of her skirt.

"I'm sorry, really."

"Sorry, he says. Come up with a different word already, dummy~" She pinched my right cheek before walking ahead.