Chapter 4

"This can't be happening," I muttered as I sat in the waiting area of the emergency wing in the nearby hospital. "This cannot be happening."

Fizzy was sitting beside me quietly, knowing that something bad has happened and it was not the time to throw a tantrum. But I knew she wanted to cry. I couldn't blame her, really. I mean, I wanted to cry, too. Cry out of frustration.

What in the world was Alex thinking? It might have been my fault that I pushed him into touching the food, but would he have lost anything at all if he said something about his allergies? It was not as if I would shove it down his throat once I found out that there was a possibility of him dying. I might have been annoyed, but I was not a murderer.

Or was that his plan: to stage his death and blame it all on me? Was that his revenge for the ill-treatment he received?

I was livid. My blood was boiling, my hands were trembling, and I was aching to throttle him and scream and ask, how stupid could he get?! Nobody should show a child something traumatic! What if Felicity starts to refuse eating shrimp?

The level of his stupidity was something that I couldn't comprehend. It was indescribable! Was it so difficult to say, Sorry, I'm allergic, can we order something else?

A groan escaped my lips just in time when my phone rang. It was the school's number flashing on the screen. I have contacted them and informed them the 'accident' and requested them to contact his family. However, the Admin stated that it would be better if I call Alex's family directly so I could explain what happened in great detail. I was reluctant, but I agreed. So now, after looking for Alex's record, they have called me back to give it to me.

I hit the green circular button and talked to the lady on the other line, memorizing the number she was reciting. I thanked her afterwards and she wished me a good luck.

I quickly dialed the number before I could forget, but I refrained from hitting the call button. The numbers just hovered on the pad, mocking me, making my heart beat painfully. My mind was conducting a very good sentence that would inform them of the situation but in a way that they wouldn't panic.

But what if they start accusing me of things and call the police?

I turned to Felicity and thought it was not the best to have her hear all of that, should it ever happen. I quickly saved the number, carried my daughter and dropped her off to the children's area.

"Daddy will come back as soon as I can, okay?" I crouched in front of her.

"Daddy?" she called. "Will Lex be okay?"

I tried to smile for her sake even if I wasn't in the mood for it. "I'm sure he will, baby." I had no doubt that he will be more than good. After all, the help came on time.

"Then, then, how long will it take you to come back?"

"Don't worry, honey. I'm just going to make a phone call, check with the doctor, and then come back to you so we can go home."

She nodded, but then her eyebrows furrowed. "But, but daddy, I want to see Lex, too!"

I bit back a groan. Fizzy was five, there was no need to snap at her, even if it was getting a bit stressful. "Baby, you'll see him at school."

A pout bloomed in her face and she attempted to give me her favorite weapon: puppy face. "Uh-uh. Sorry, honey. But it's not going to work this time. You'll see him at school once he gets better."

"Aw," she whined. "Okay."

"Good girl." We went to the guardian to have her registered, and as soon as it finished, I was walking towards the door.