Chapter 8

Lia~

Lucas parked the car about 10 minutes ago and here I am, sitting in the passenger seat, still struggling to fix my makeup. Luckily Maddie mostly used waterproof makeup and a damn good setting spray but my lipstick and blush were totally ruined. Lucas looks at me and chuckles, takes the makeup wipe out of my hand and wipes my cheeks clean. "you should go with the natural look. You're beautiful, Lia, and you definitely don't need makeup to show it." I blush and look away, biting my lip to suppress a giggle, turning it red.

Well, that solves that problem.

"You ready?" I nod my head not trusting my own voice to be more than a whisper, or even worse, for me not to stutter.

"Then let's go." He gets out and before I can move, he's at my door and opening it for me like the gentleman he is. I giggle, something I've been doing a lot lately thanks to him, "Well thank you, kind sir." I wink at him and take his hand.

"My pleasure young maiden. Now let us grace this ball with your presence." The sparks are still there but they're more faint than before, maybe because I'm no longer crying my eyes out. It's a shame, those really felt good. They reminded me of how I imagine the mate bond to feel. I smile thinking about it, although I'm not sure why. Lucas is a human and I'm a tribrid, there's no way he can be my mate, that's if I even have a mate out there.

We walk through the doors and instantly all eyes turn to us or more specifically, me. Maybe I should've mentioned the fact that because of my eyes I've always attracted unnecessary attention. They have an enchanting quality to them and people tend to look away whenever I look them in the eye. It's probably a good thing too because if I look into your eyes too long I start to see your true self and your darkest secrets, almost like Ghost rider but the poor soul doesn't self-combust, well not unless I want them to.

I look around the ballroom and it's absolutely stunning. The place is elegantly decorated in various shades of white and gold with toned-down lighting, giving it a sophisticated feel. The one wall is completely closed off by tables covered with food and drinks and a few with chairs where students can sit and in these heels, I'm sure it won't be long before I'm occupying one of them.

I'm barely inside the ballroom when Maddie practically attacks, "You look gorgeous bitch!" I laugh at her words.

"Looking fine as hell yourself there Mads although if you do recall you saw me like 2 hours ago and you did my makeup, I look the same as I did then." I give her a lopsided smile and chuckle at her shaking her head.

She grins at me, "No you don't. You're practically glowing and don't think I didn't notice that half your makeup is missing." I blush a deep red.

Well, I better tell her before she starts drawing her own conclusions, this girl I seriously can't deal with sometimes, "Well, Lucas and I were talking about my dad and I started crying." I can see she's taken aback by this. I don't talk about my dad to anyone but her. Sure, I'm not constantly depressed about it anymore but it still gets to me sometimes when I think that we'll never get to spend another day together. "And yes, I know what you're thinking. I can't believe it either."

She furrows her brows and gives me a confused look but before she can say anything the music starts. "I'm so sorry to interrupt but I'm pretty sure the whole reason I asked Lia to the dance was because I actually wanted to dance with her." I blush once again. I honestly don't know how many times this boy has made me blush today but I'm going to go with 100.

Maddie gives me a knowing look, one I can read all too well." Yes, of course, Lucas but remember that if she gets hurt I know a lot of people who'd be more than willing to rearrange that pretty little face of yours." she gives him a sweet smile and saunters off. The look on Luc's face is priceless. I burst out laughing and try to regain my composure but he's only making it worse by opening and closing his mouth like a fish out of water.