The Scorpion Strikes!

Back at the Watson household, Mary Jane had finished practicing some lines for drama class and was just coming down for dinner, when she noticed that her Aunt was on the phone, looking slightly concerned.

"Now don't you fret, Mrs Allan," she said to the person on the other end of the line. "I'm sure Liz will call you soon... Yes... Of course... I'll call you if I have any news... Goodbye."

"What's that about Liz, Aunt Anna?" asked a worried Mary Jane.

"Oh, Mary Jane, it seems the young girl didn't return home after her classes today," explained Anna. "She's not answering her mobile and her parents are worried. Apparently, she's been getting quite moody over the last few months."

"Yeah, she's been getting more and more jealous of Spider-Girl, I'm afraid," said Mary Jane, who could not help but feel a bit guilty at this, even though she had not actually done anything to earn Liz's resentment. "Maybe I better go and see if I can find her."

She quickly darted back upstairs and began to change into her costume. By the time, Anna had come up to join her, Mary Jane was already in her outfit and getting her mask on.

 By the time, Anna had come up to join her, Mary Jane was already in her outfit and getting her mask on

"But dear, the city is so large," pointed out Anna. "How in the world will you be able to find her?"

"Well, I'll try checking out all the old haunts and hangouts where we tend to meet up," said Mary Jane as she pulled her window open and prepared to leap out. "If that doesn't work, I'll comb the city and see if my spider-sense can pick her up. I just hope I can find her before she does anything foolhardy!"

******

Meanwhile, at Professor Cobbwell's laboratory, Peter was working on an experiment while the Professor was in the middle of a phone call.

"I see," said Cobbwell as he listened to the caller's message with growing concern. "Don't worry, Doctor Connors, I'll go over to Stillwell right now and see what's happening. Goodbye!"

"Problems, Professor?" asked Peter as Cobbwell put the phone back on the hook.

"It seems that a colleague of mine, Professor Stillwell, has been drawing a fair amount of power from the grid," explained Cobbwell. "The institute is worried that he might be conducting some unauthorised experiments and they've asked me to go and see what he's up to."

"I'll come with you, if that's okay, Professor." said Peter, his scientific curiosity piqued. "I've heard a lot about Professor Stillwell's research and I'm kinda curious to see it all for myself."

******

For three frustrating hours, Spider-Girl scoured the city for any sign of Liz Allan, all without any success. No matter where Mary Jane looked, there was no trace, no indication of where her blonde classmate could be. But stubbornly, Spider-Girl kept swinging past the tall skyscrapers, determined to find her missing friend. She was just going past the 'Daily Bugle', when an all-too familiar voice called from one of the windows near the top.