ix. escape route

"What the hell is this place?"

"We're in a ghost ship, man." Conrad answered. I sighed, knowing that he's not gonna be stopping with this bullshit any minute now.

"Conrad." I said in a scolding tone and gave him a stern look. In response, he just shrugged a little. Seriously, he wants everybody else to think what he's thinking and I'm not having it. He'll just scare the shit out of them and the last thing we need is a panic attack in a scary ship.

"Dude, even those meatheads were spooked. So that says something, right?" Conrad said, backing up his ghost ship theory. I still don't get why he's so determined to believe that this place is a freaking ghost ship.

Not everything is a horror situation.

"You think this ship is the Manchurian Gold?" Julia asked.

"We are in the vicinity of those coordinates..." Fliss said. If what she said was true, those fishermen have started to succeed in their goal whereas we're still trapped here. If they ever find the gold, they'd probably either kill us or abandon us here to die.

Either of which would be very bad.

But then again, is there really gold here? Why would a ship like this contain gold? This looks like a ship used by the soldiers in the war, not some kind of gold shipping whatever.

"We can't just sit around. We need a plan."

Brad agreed to Alex' notion. "Yeah."

"We're not exactly in the best position to be making any moves." Said Fliss, who had a very good point. And if we really wanted a good plan, all I can say is we can fight back. I've done all this before, so maybe I could do it again, with the help of the others.

Anyway, why didn't I try to fight and escape from the Curator when he literally kidnapped me?

I guess, if I did try, nothing would come out of my efforts. He is way too powerful than I am. Besides, he's probably a superhuman or whatever. He has these invisible restraint thing in that chair. Also he can make me experience this sort of interactive story and then make me go back to his repository whenever he wants without the thought of my well-being. He's kind of a douchebag, really. A douchebag with otherworldly abilities, if you will.

But whatever I say, I'm very grateful for him for letting me see Ed again, or at least his face plastered on another human being.

"I was thinking, we could cause some sort of distraction. The second they let their guard down, we gotta take advantage of it and get off this ship." Alex suggested. Okay, that wasn't a bad suggestion at all. Except for the fact that the actual process of escaping is completely missing.

"But how? I-I mean, we can't even see anything here, what do we do?" Brad pointed out.

"I know we're not really fit to do anything right now but this whole rust bucket's one tetanus shot from the bottom of the ocean. If I'm gonna die, I don't wanna die here." Hearing Conrad talk about his death made my whole body tense.

"You're not gonna die, Conrad." Was the only thing I could say. He can't die. I can't let that happen again.

It was probably weird for them that I always get protective of Conrad's welfare, especially when Emma hates Conrad. But if they knew the whole story, they would completely understand why I'm being like this.

Still, it must be very confusing for all of them. Especially Conrad himself. But I guess it's fine since they don't mind that much.

"We all tried escape. Didn't exactly work out." Julia said.