xii. the bargain

As if this long walk wasn't draining enough, I also keep hearing harsh voices around me. I could recognize the others, but I have no idea who some of them are. Or were? For some reason, they sounded dead... I don't know anymore.

"How you holdin' up?" I hear Conrad ask from behind. I didn't even bother looking at him. All these confounding hallucinations and wandering has made me exhausted. So exhausted that I don't I cab tolerate any more of Conrad's horsing around.

"Not now, Ed." I said, attempting to shrug him over.

"You're really gonna have to tell me about this Ed guy. He never seems to leave your mind." Conrad said with a light chuckle. I stopped at my tracks instantly and stared at him.

How could I have been so foolish to call Conrad Ed's name again?

Seeing that Conrad doesn't really mean trouble for asking, I slowly relaxed myself and walked along. At this much distance, can we really catch up to Julia and Alex up ahead?

I now realized that answering Conrad's question wouldn't really matter. As far as he's concerned, Ed is entirely a different person, and not some sort of his reincarnation or something.

"He never does."

He nodded. "So who's he? Your boyfriend?"

"What? Gross, no." I laughed at his retort which then suddenly became a frown."He's... He's my brother."

"Oh you have a brother?" He asked, appearing to be genuinely amused.

I'm really committing to this, am I? Before answering, I let out an audible sigh.

"Had."

"Shit, I'm sorry Emma. I didn't know."

I smiled bitterly. "Of course you wouldn't know anything about him."

Silence soon fell upon us. But I could feel both of us were uncomfortable. Why did I even open up about this?

"Julia never told me that." He suddenly said.

"Do you really think she'd tell you even if she knew?" I smirked. When I turned to look at him, I could see the confusion in his eyes.

"She doesn't know about your, you know, broski...?" And we're back again with his silly nicknames.

"It feels like we've already had this conversation earlier." I had to giggle. I keep forgetting that Emma is closer with Julia than with Conrad.

"Hmm... But really, she doesn't know?" He asked, but this time, he was beaming that I tell him more stuff.

I only shook my head no ever so slightly.

"I must be special then. I'm the first one you told about your kidnap thing, and now your brother." He looked ahead, looking so full of himself. "Are you sure you don't like me?"

"Oh would you fuck off, Conrad?" I groaned. When will this arrogant flirt ever grow up?

"Alright alright." He laughed. It's nice to see him laugh. It feels like it has been an eternity since I saw this... this smile of his. It warms my heart that I get to see it again.

"Does he look like me?"

Well that was a question I never expected he'd ask.

"What?"

"I feel like he does. You wouldn't have called me his name a million times if I didn't look like him. Is that why you hate me? Like seeing me makes it harder for you?"

I tried so hard to avoid his questions. Because yes, seeing his face again pains me as much as it delights me. It's all very complicated.

"You know, you don't look bothered by all the shit we've been through."