Chapter 1

It had rained heavily that dreary summer's day, but she didn't mind one bit. She loved the feeling of nature washing her skin with its tears from the sky; the loved the refreshing scent of dewy grass as she passed by the lawns of neighboring houses; she loved the security of her favorite plain, gray hoodie as the raindrops fell mercilessly against the concrete of the sidewalk. She put her hands in the warmth of her pockets, her green eyes turning them up to the sky. Her girlish face was the victim of the downpour as she closed her eyes and parted her lips, concentrating on the clouds above.

Through her closed eyelids, she could see darkness gradually becoming light as she continued walking down the street back to her house. She felt a soft breeze caress her skin as the raindrops lessened in density; the clouds above slowly parted to reveal the golden sun, its rays cutting through the rain and solemnity of the day to shine down upon her rich, light blonde hair as she pulled back her hood. She grinned slightly, continuing to walk to her house that was only a few down the street. Suddenly, she gasped, seeing a ruckus in front of her abode.

"Get out!" a voice hissed loudly.

"Oh, c'mon, Helen," said an older man as he walked down the steps in a rush. He was pulling up his pants in the process, and as he was redoing his belt buckle, he looked up at the woman who had gracefully slinked out of the house dressed in nothing but a black, silk robe. "Not even a kiss goodbye?"

"Let me think," the woman said sarcastically. "No!"

The girl was scared out of her mind at the scene; she had never seen this man before, and he had never visited the house for any reason. She walked closer, taking her time and seeing the woman she called mother; her platinum hair, almost a white color, disheveled and her bright red lipstick smeared down to her chin and around the corners of her perfectly-shaped mouth. Her mascara, which was clumped in her thick, black eyelashes and dispersed on the delicate skin below her intense hazel eyes, made her look ghastly, as though she were a raccoon. Her black, silk robe did nothing to hide the enormous size of her breasts, and her nipples poked through them like sharp points. A cigarette was between her fingers as she told the man off, and the girl walked closer to the steps only to feel a tight grip overpower her upper arm-it hurt.

"Eleonora! Where have you been? Get in here!" her mother shrieked. The girl went along, intimidated by her mother as she was dragged in to the slamming of the front door.

Eleonora looked around, but then saw the dirtied-up face of her mother, who took a drag on her cigarette and sighed with aggravation, feeling the nicotine burn her lungs like it always had. Even under a heavy mask of makeup and garish cosmetics, Helen was an extreme beauty-her hair, when brushed and neatened, was wavy, shoulder-length, and platinum blonde. Her face was sculpted like glass, her cheekbones prominent with a heart-shaped jawline. Her eyes were an intense hazel color, and every time Eleonora, or anyone for that matter, looked into them, they felt a sense of fear-there was pure fire in them, and they burned with either love or hatred, feelings as intense as the heat of fire itself. Men drooled over her and quarreled with each other just to be in her bed after she got divorced from her husband; she was, in fact, quite youthful for someone of forty-six. Eleonora continued to look at her, but said nothing.

"Where have you been?" her mother hissed, furrowing her defined, darkly-filled eyebrows at her to express disdain.

"I...went for a walk," the girl replied timidly.

"It was raining, you could've caught a cold," Helen sneered, smoking her cigarette. "Are you stupid?"

"I like the rain," Eleonora said-she was used to her mother calling her names. She had done it for so long, she couldn't remember a time when she was actually nice to her.