Chapter 5

"The Louisiana campus is still in shock over the tragic bus crash last night. Nine members of the fraternity Kappa-Lambda-Gamma were on board. Seven of the boys died on the scene, and two were rushed to the hospital, where they remain in critical condition. Officials will not confirm the identities of decea-"

Madison, who had just gotten ready for the day, walked into the kitchen area and in flash flicked off the television. Zoe had been standing there watching it, along with Queenie and Nan, who were seated with cereal, and got immediately frustrated with the snobby starlet. Madison continued her way over to the island counter, where Spalding, the mute butler, was washing the stove, and Eleonora was preparing her own breakfast-she was overhearing every word in the dialogue of the ones she had witnessed the "accident" with.

"Hey! I was watching that!" Zoe exclaimed.

"Why?" Madison replied arrogantly. "It's yesterday's news." She continued over to Spalding, whose blank, frighteningly normal eyes were fixed on her. "Do you got any Greek yogurt?"

Spalding ignored her, but he was mute, so he couldn't speak anyways. Meanwhile, Eleonora was cutting up small fruit and washing blueberries and raspberries to concoct fruit salad, one of her favorite snack foods-she was not particularly hungry, but she knew she needed to eat something in order to sustain herself for the day; or, at least until lunch time. Her weary green eyes glanced up at Madison quickly before glancing down again; she said nothing, but heard Zoe speak as she caught up to Madison-she sounded quite nervous.

"We have to tell somebody what happened," Zoe declared in a soft voice. Damn right we do, Eleonora thought as the small blade cut the stem off a strawberry. "When I met Kyle, he tried to stop them."

"Madison?" Eleonora finally said, breaking her silence and sounding serious. "She's right. People died. We are just as guilty as you are for-"

"Shut up!" she retorted. "You weren't the one who got-"

"What are we talking about?" a voice asked; it sounded authoritative.

The sound of black stilettos clacking against the floor with each step drew everyone's attention, even Eleonora's, who looked at the woman who entered; she was definitely mature-looking, and she was wearing all black-her mother had worn black often, and it made her gulp with anxiety as she saw her shoulder-length blonde hair made voluminous by layers. Her eyes were a piercing hazel-brown, and her face was chiseled and aged. Between her fingers was a half-smoked cigarette being flaunted about like a fashion accessory in between puffs and blows. Who is she, she asked herself.

"College boys?" she continued; now she sounded very domineering and sly. "Having the time of their lives. Oh, what a tragedy! It almost makes you wanna cry. But then, the world's not gonna miss a bunch of assholes like them." Eleonora nervously felt herself talking-why, she asked herself.

"W-Who are you?" she asked; her voice sounded calm and kind like it always had when she met someone new. The woman ignored her; no surprise there.

"You know, I gotta hand it to you," she continued, taking some food from a tray on the counter-Nan and Queenie looked at her as if in a trance. "That bus flip...that's not easy to do." She turned her hazel-brown eyes to Madison, who looked back at her with the same snobby look on her face.

"You are asloppy little witch-bitch," the woman sneered coldly, leaning in ever so slightly to make the young woman know her place and where she stood.

"Go to hell, you stupid hag," Madison leered, pouting her lips with aggravation as she walked away from her.

Zoe and Eleonora looked at each other, but then noticed the woman hold the hand with the cigarette out. They could tell she was concentrating and gaining her focus to do something extraordinary, but what? Eleonora gasped to see Madison's body be lifted like a ragdoll off the floor, gliding rapidly toward the wall and thumping it. Madison's head jerked back from the force, and Zoe's honey brown eyes widened-Eleonora furrowed her eyebrows in, containing the fear inside as the woman looked at her piercingly, putting out her cigarette on a clean, unused plate.