Chapter 10

That night, Cordelia and Fiona were sitting at the bar in the seedy jazz club that rested in the heart of the historic French Quarter—a saxophone blared among the sound of trombones, a deep bass and clanging drums as people sat in their seats enjoying drinks or standing up dancing. As Fiona took a sip of her tonic and gin, she looked over on the dance floor area to see an extraordinarily beautiful woman with bright, platinum blonde hair and high, prominent cheekbones with her red-dressed curvy hourglass figure swaying about scandalously to the seductive jazz being played. She was dancing with a man who seemed to be taking turns with another, but the woman didn't seem to mind. Fiona noticed that she looked incredibly young—what is her secret, she thought.

"So Hank and I went to the doctor," Cordelia said, distracting her mother as she sipped from her red wine.

"Yes?"

"We can't have any children at all. I'm infertile," she said sadly with a frown.

"Well, of course, we witches are different with how we can conceive," Fiona replied with a smile written in her parted lips. "Did you try that spell I had given you?"

"It didn't work," Cordelia said. "We've tried and tried. I even went to Miss Laveau for help."

"What?!" Fiona was in shock—how could she have turned to her enemy and rival?

"She didn't help me anyways, though. She offered a fertility charm for $50,000 but then pulled it back from me. She said she would never give anything to her enemy, let alone her child," her daughter said sadly, feeling discouraged and as though all hope was lost. "I don't know what else to do. I'm getting older and I feel terrible that I can't have a child."

"Well, you'll need to keep trying, then. Don't stop," Fiona said.

"Hey, that's Mrs. Mortenson," Cordelia noticed, sipping her glass of wine as she saw the large-breasted, beautiful platinum-haired woman step up to the level of the bar and look around with three men, one of whom had joined them and was spellbound by Helen's beauty, for places to sit. They found the only empty seats to be near the Supreme and her daughter—Helen did not realize Cordelia was next to her until she spoke after taking a sip of her wine.

"Pink Lady," Helen told the bartender, pointing her finger directly as she saw the lustful look in the bartender's eyes.

"Mrs. Mortenson, fancy seeing you here," Cordelia finally said cordially. Helen's fierce hazel eyes looked to her right and she smirked to greet her—Fiona admired her this close, even though the most prominent feature was her spillage of cleavage pouring slightly over the neckline of her bright crimson dress. So young, she thought, I wonder how old she is.

"Good to see you too, Cordelia," she said in a monotone, taking out a cigarette and concentrating on the tip to light it with her power of fire.

Fiona gasped slightly at the sight, watching her first puff as she looked down and put her metal, floral-embossed cigarette holder away in her black leather purse. She looked over to the men, who sat next to her like a cult following down the way of the bar, and wondered how Helen was able to attract so many at who knew how old. She fluffed her blonde hair and her hazel-brown eyes looked at the youthful, but mature older woman.

"Cordelia," she finally said. "Bring your friend. A booth just opened up."

Helen abandoned the men she was dancing with to join the Supreme and her daughter at the booth table. By this time, Fiona was intrigued by the magnetism and sensational natural beauty and youth of this woman. She had been turned down by Marie Laveau for her secrets, Delphine was not willing to help her, but Helen; she seemed to have it all right in front of her. Her shoulder-length hair, a snowy platinum blonde, was free of grays; her eyes smoldered like freshly-made glass with their intense hazel hue; her face was free of wrinkles; her body was uber curvaceous with a generous bosom and small-waist with contrasting hips; she dressed very well, which Fiona could relate to. She saw Helen sipping from her glass, sighing softly.