Chapter 67

It was going good and dandy. My forehead had three stitches, courtesy of Tyreese, though he was stiff while putting them on, apologizing every time I tensed in pain. Rick, Daryl, and I talked to the cops and Noah, making a plan for how to get inside the hospital. We learned some more information about Dawn, and pieces started to fit together.

Like, why the hell were they actually wasting resources searching for Noah, and why they were kidnapping people. It seemed to me that Dawn seemed to hide behind her compassionate side while she couldn't get her people to obey. It was easier to close eyes when something terrible happened and agree when more than one cop had a different idea than she did.

What she lacked as a leader was the most important trait of one - respect. And, oh boy, it seemed like she had zero of that.

So yeah, it was dandy until the cop who seemed like the most willing to go with the plan escaped.

Lamson knocked Sasha out cold, and when we found her, he was gone. Luckily Merle, who was on watch, noticed which direction he went, and Rick and I ran after him, leaving Daryl in charge.

We got outside and ran as fast as we could, slashing at walkers that crossed our path. We finally got to the police car that was left behind and followed Lamson.

Rick was quiet, his hands gripping the steering wheel tightly, and I could hear his teeth when he moved his jaw. I had my Glock out, and I was ready to get out of the vehicle at any second, as long as Rick would stop.

As soon as the man was in our sight, Rick grabbed the radio and flipped it onto the speakers. "Stop! Stop right now!"

I saw that the cop didn't slow down, and Rick rolled his shoulders, the muscle above his jaw twitching rapidly, and he pressed down gas making the car go faster.

"Rick, no!" I said sternly, looking between him and the man who ran in front of us.

"I gave him a chance!" Rick spat in my direction, but I shook my head, placing my hand over his on the wheel.

"We fucking need him. We need three. Trust me!"

We were almost there; Lamson was glancing over his shoulder, panic evident on his sweaty face. Rick let out an angry groan but spun the wheel once we were side by side with the man. I pulled at the handle, opening my doors, knocking Lamson to the side, and jumping out of the vehicle as soon as Rick hit the brakes.

I jogged towards the cop, Glock trained on him, watching his heavy breathing and glistering face. His eyes jumped from me to Rick once the sheriff stood next to me.

"Just kill me," Lamson wheezed, and I gritted my teeth, holstering my weapon. With Rick's help, we got the man to the back seat, his pants lauder in the closed space.

"Why the fuck would you do this?" I snarled at the man, looking over my shoulder, through the screen that separated us.

"You gonna kill us all," His reply was short and straightforward while he looked out of the window.

"You agreed that our plan will work. What changed?"

"You. You could wipe us out, and they need to be ready."

At that, I just sighed and looked ahead of me. In silence, we drove the rest of the way until we stopped at the side of the building we occupied.

Once we got out, Rick grasped Lamson's shoulder tightly and pulled him sharply. Watching around and ensuring that there are no walkers or people, I trailed after them. We finally got to the upper floor, where others kept an eye on the two remaining cops, and I noticed Daryl pacing. When he spotted us, he quickly crossed the room, clasping his big hands over my shoulders.