Chapter 30

Day 191

Daryl, T-Dog, and I were walking through the woods. It was our turn to get water. Soft snow under our feet made crunching noises; it was exceptionally cold today. I could see my breath, creating a slight fog. We had five canisters to replenish our supply, and T was hanging on to the pickaxe we would use to break through the ice.

We had warm jackets, and I wore an extra pair of socks this morning to protect my feet. When we reached the clearing, T-Dog immediately got to break the thick layer of ice covering the lake.

"Let's try not to get wet, guys," I told them, watching from a safe distance.

"You're not very helpful, " the Black man commented, dipping one of the canisters into the water.

"I'm not going anywhere near that. Last time scared me for a lifetime, thank you very much."

"Hey, ya alright, now," Daryl said softly, taking the full bottle from T's grasp and passing him another one.

"Yeah, and I have you to protect me, Big Boy," I smirked at him, making him roll his eyes.

"Hey, what about me?"

"Oh, T, don't get jealous, now. It doesn't suit you," I remarked, winking at him.

When they filled all the containers, we moved back towards the house. It was a beautiful day, regardless of how cold it was. We were nearly back at home when Daryl stopped, making me walk into his back.

"Shh." He gently placed the bottles in the snow and took a crossbow off his shoulder.

"What's wrong?" I whispered, watching our surroundings for whatever triggered Hunter. He pointed at the ground, and I finally noticed the footprints. Four different ones spread widely, but they all pointed towards the house. It wasn't us, and yesterday snowed heavily, so they had to be fresh.

"T, leave the water," I ordered quietly, taking my gun out of the holster. "This way."

I led the men between the trees, hoping they would hide us, circling the property towards the front.

"Here," Dixon waved at the ground, showing us another two sets of prints. Fuck. I swallowed harshly, trying to think quickly about how to do it.

"What's happening?" T-Dog asked Daryl and me, making us look at each other with grim expressions.

"Six people. Walked towards the house," Dixon answered, crouching and watching the main entrance.

"I can't see any extra cars," I stated, looking for any movements from the inside. Oh, how I wished to have my sniper with me now.

"What ya thinkin'?"

Our vehicles were still there, and we didn't know if our people were hurt or not. If they had enough time to hide. Doors were closed, and footprints led to the property but not out of it.

"Who was on watch?" My heart rate sped up, thinking about solutions.

"I think Maggie," T answered, worry evident on his face. I nodded and took a deep breath. OK. It was time to act; we risked our group's lives every extra second we spent out here. I took my bow and quiver from my back and gave them to T-Dog.

"Lose it, brake it, I'll make you pay," I told him lowly, making him look at me in confusion. Next, I passed him my Glock, leaving me only with my hunter knife and throwing knives hidden under my jacket.

"El," Daryl grunted under his nose, making me look at him.

"So, plan. Six people, potentially holding at least Maggie. Daryl, you have your bow and your gun; T, you got my gun. Once I'm inside, give me ten minutes. If I'm not out, or you hear a commotion, come in."