Chapter One: The Middle of Nowhere

NEWT's POV
"How are we even supposed to know which bloody way to go?" I asked, holding my hand to my eyes so the blaring sun didn't burn them out of their sockets. As soon as I asked the question there was an ear-splitting scream coming from nearby. We all looked around until Thomas spotted a small building. He walked towards it and told us not to come with him, that it was Teresa and he knew it, we all obeyed but watched him intently. Teresa did come it of the building and she kissed him. I looked away because I felt like I was invading his privacy, but looked at him just as she was whispering something in his ear. She turned around and went back inside the building. Thomas jogged back over to us, turning to look back at the building every ten seconds.

"What did she say?" Minho asked.

"She said to get as far away from her as possible. She said there was a city up ahead where we can stock up on supplies and to go there." He answered, his voice strained. It must be killing him to leave Teresa.

"Then let's go." Minho said. We all started to walk towards where Thomas said the city would be and didn't stop until it got dark. We rested for twenty minutes or so and then walked towards the city again. When it was daytime the wind kicked up, spraying our faces with sand and dirt. We kept walking in hopes of getting to this city quickly. None of us talked, because if we did we'd have a mouthful of sand. It was hot, hotter than it was the day before. At around midday the wind got faster and there was lightning. Lightning in the bloody desert! We hoped it would bring rain but once again, our hopes were crushed.

ELLA's POV
When the lightning was going strong we decided we needed to make a run for it. The city was just under a mile away and we could make it in ten minutes if everyone hurried. Every time lightning would strike it would be closer to us than the bolt before and it got us worried. A couple people I didn't know died, and it made me feel bad that these people died and I didn't even know their names. Minho got burned, but he was still living. Newt and Thomas were helping him walk on his burnt leg. We ran as fast as we could, with Minho dragging behind. When we got to the city we were greeted by a fiery haired girl and a stern looking boy.

"You're here." The boy said once we were within earshot. He had brown hair, blue eyes, and pale skin, just like the girl. I wouldn't be surprised if they were siblings, although I don't know where the girl's hair comes from.

"Well, duh!" Minho sassily remarked. "Now we need to get inside before we're all dead."

"Calm it." The girl said. She was beautiful pale skin and blue eyes. "We'll get you where you need to go if you trust us. Do you trust us?"

"How about you get us in a building and then we'll work on trust?" Thomas asked.

"For some people who are in need of help you aren't very kind." The girl said, crossing her arms. "Do you trust us?" She repeated.

"Yes, yes, we bloody trust you." Newt said, "Now get us in a building." His eyes were glassy, like he was crying not to cry. I had to fight the urge to feel bad for him.

"Follow me." They led us through the winding maze of buildings and into a small, one story house-type thing. Once we were all settled the boy started speaking.

"My name is Liam, and this is Esme. As we said earlier, we will get you where you need to go just as long as you trust us. You said that you trust us. Where do you need to go?"

"We need to find the safe haven." Frypan said. Esme and Liam exchanged a glance that looked like an 'it's time' look.

"We will get you there. But be warned," Esme said, "some might die, few will be betrayed by a love, and many will be injured. It is fact, there's no escaping it." At this the whole room erupted into chatter.

"What do you mean, 'betrayed by a love'?"

"Die?!"

"This is bloody ridiculous."

"What the shuck?" These were just some of the thoughts floating around our minds. Esme clapped her hands and everyone silenced.

"Do you still want our help?" She asked.

"Yes, we do." Minho answered. And him, being one of our leaders, was right. We did need their help.
•••
A/N: So this is short but I spent a lot of time and effort on it so I hope you like it.