Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

"It was at the end of Hogwarts," said Romy, "when I left the wizarding world. I had just recently graduated." She could remember her seventh year as though it was yesterday. She wanted to leave in her sixth year and stay with her parents when the war seemed to get a lot more real than it had been.

When the newspaper had more and more deaths each day during summer than she could remember, and when she would attend funerals of her parents family friends. Mostly muggles who did not even know there was a war going on, but she knew and so did her parents.

Her parents were fascinated with her world, so much so that every summer they would steal her textbooks just so they could better understand the world that she lived in. They loved to read the magical newspapers that her owl delivered to her, they found it fascinating to hear of such news as though it was normal.

It was in her fifth year that the first death showed up on the front page, they questioned Romy who had been bullied sometimes at school for her blood status. She dismissed them the first time but then the week after had a section on four new deaths that had happened since in a town only two hours from where they lived.

It was terrifying. Mostly muggles and muggleborn's but some half-bloods had taken centre as the top news story when it was found out they risked their lives to protect some muggleborn's. It became harder and harder for Romy to hide the horrors that were ransacking the Wizarding World, and so she finally told them.

She told them in her sixth year she wished to leave Hogwarts, she felt like she was sitting back and letting the world fight for her whilst she was doing nothing to help the world. Her parents refused, practically begged her to stay, to be safe for one more year and then if she still felt the same way then she could pick her fate.

She agreed, it was the worst decision she had made to agree to their pleads.

"You have to realise something...my parents were the most supportive parents this world has ever seen." She smiled at the memories, they stabbed her in the heart but the memories they had would always be with her, "my home was engrossed with magic because they were fascinated with it. They were not the type of muggles to ignore my world, it was entirely the opposite. They would steal my textbooks and read them in their spare time."

"They seem amazing!"

"They were," her eyes glazed with fresh tears, "oh they were so amazing."

He had noted her use of the word were and reached for her hand once more. His other hand was occupied with the warm tea that she had made and instead of sitting on the couch she sat on her kitchen counter and he leaned against her fridge, "I'm sorry."

She forced the smile that took over her lips, "we had argued in a series of letters towards the end of my seventh year, it was painful, and they were my people. They were the ones that kept me sane amongst everything else that happened, no matter how stressful exams were...I would always have them.

I had told them I still wished to fight, and although they had said I could make up my own mind they instantly disagreed. They said they had been keeping up with the news any way they could, saw that my world was getting more and more dangerous by the second and that they wanted for me to come home and be safe with them.

They wanted us to flee England when I graduated because they were scared. I was young and angry; I was barely eighteen when I graduated and all I wanted was to fight. I think looking back I wanted to fight for the wrong reasons, I knew that it was needed of me, but I wanted to do it to prove myself and to prove that just because I was a muggleborn did not mean that I wasn't powerful." Remus leaned closer to where she sat atop her kitchen counter, and for the second time that night, he wiped her tears.