Not Really There

"Hey," JJ answered the phone.

"Hey, Jennifer." Reid greeted.

"Did you look at the file?" JJ asked.

"We did, yes," Hotch answered.

"Hold on. Is that Hotch?" JJ asked.

"Yeah." Emily nervously replied.

"I understand why Emily is there. But why is Hotch there?" JJ questioned.

"JJ, the brief version is that Emily and Hotch are together. The longer version is..." Reid explained.

"Reid. Focus." Hotch cuts in.

"Hmm...Emily Prentiss. You have so much explaining to do." JJ said.

"I know, JJ, I know. Let's focus on the case." Emily replied.

"Right, so...I think a validation strategy looks like the best way to handle Justin, engage him by building up his ego," JJ stated.

"That's exactly what we were thinking. It's all about him and how great he is." Reid answered.

"Yeah. I think it's important to see why he left Rachel alive. It may seem like a coincidence, but I have a feeling it's not." Emily continued.

"Yes, I think it's something to do with Rachel's sister, Corrine. She's in Europe for work. She definitely won't be home when Justin went yesterday." Hotch said.

"Great. I will ask Garcia to dive in deeper. Thanks." JJ thanked them.

"What did Barnes think about your theory on a validation strategy?" Emily asked.

"Well, you know, she's on board with whatever's gonna solve the case the fastest," JJ replied.

"Right. Efficiency." Emily snickered.

"JJ, be careful of Barnes. She might change her mind at the last minute to do whatever she thinks it's efficient." Hotch warned JJ.

"Noted bosses. Hey, I'm sorry, I got to go...Glad to hear your voices, Emily and Hotch. Even though you're both not really there." JJ ended the call before anyone could answer.

"So...how does it feel to be back on the team, Hotch?" Reid asked.

"It feels like I've never left," Hotch answered while wrapping his hand around Emily's waist.

Just then, Emily's stomach growled because they hadn't had breakfast.

"Oops. Reid, Hotch and I literally just woke up. We are going to make some quick breakfast. Do you want anything?" Emily asked Reid.

"No, it's okay. Thanks. I'm sorry to wake both of you up."

"Nah. Don't be sorry, Reid. So, honey, what do you want? Pancakes?" Aaron asked Emily.

"Yes, pancakes will do. Thanks, Aaron." Emily thanked Aaron and gave him a brief kiss on his cheek. Aaron smiled at Emily happily, with his dimples showing while releasing his hand on her waist and then walked to the kitchen to cook.

"So..." Emily was unsure what to do with Reid.

"Hey, I saw this chess set over there. You up for a game?" Reid asked.

"Sure. But after breakfast, please. My brain is overworked." Emily said and grunted.

"Of course."

"Spencer, feel free to hang around the house. There are books on the shelves you can read. Just make yourself home. I'm going to see whether Aaron needs any help."

"Alright. Thanks, Emily."