30| The stranger

"Zach!"

Zach stops in his tracks and closes his eyes for a second. His whole body is tensed as he turns around to face the person who just called his name. I do the same and eye the man who approaches us. It's a short, slimy, middle aged man with black, slicked back hair who looks like a southerner to me. He's wearing a black suit paired with black patent-leather shoes. His white shirt is half unbuttoned and reveals a lot of dark chest hair and a massive gold chain.

"Francesco," Zach growls through gritted teeth.

"I've heard your visits got less frequent lately?" the man remarks in a Spanish or Italian accent and crosses his arms. Then his gaze falls on me.

Zach takes a deep breath and bites on the inside of his bottom lip. He obviously feels very uneasy in the presence of this Francesco.

"Yes, that's true, Franco," he retorts coldly.

"And I see why!" Francesco points at me and his face turns into an ugly leer. "Don't you want to introduce us?"

Zach snorts sneeringly. "No, I don't want to."

I have no idea what's going on between them, but I feel extremely uncomfortable watching them growling at each other.

"Well, suit yourself. We're having dinner at my place on Tuesday. Some potential investors will be there, and I want you to come as well. You're one of the best players out of the people I trust to have at my home, and I need to make a good impression. Bring your girl along as well!" With those words and after a suggestive wink in my direction, he turns around and disappears through the massive door opposite the counter.

Zach tilts back his head with closed eyes and runs both his fingers through his hair.

"Who was that guy?" I ask lowly.

"Nobody. Let's go!" Zach retorts in a harsh tone and grabs my hand.

"But-" I start but Zach cuts me off right away.

"For fuck's sake, Olivia! Not now," he half shouts and clenches his teeth.

I glare at him but let him pull me with him.

The frosty winter breeze welcomes us and cools down my heated cheeks. I take a deep breath and close my eyes while Zach waves over a waiting Uber. The driver stops right in front of us, and Zach opens the door for me. He holds out his hand to help me, but I ignore him and get in on my own.

"I can take care of myself, thank you!" I hiss, and with that I grab the car door handle and forcefully pull it closed.

Zach walks around the car and gets in beside me. He tells the driver our desired destination and then faces me. I turn away and peer out of the window since I really don't want to argue in front of the driver. I hear Zach sighing, but he stays silent until we stop in front of my house. Without hesitating, I open the door and get out before Zach. After he paid the driver, he hops out as well.

I head straight for the front door and insert my keys.

"Liv," Zach says pleadingly.

"Let's talk inside!" I retort without turning around and enter the house. We go upstairs in silence and I open my apartment door for us.

"Olivia!" Zach repeats insistently after closing the door behind him.

I kick off my heels and turn around with crossed arms. Zach stands there with hanging shoulders and looks at me with a desperate face.

"What?" I snap, and shake my head-

"Why are you so mad? I just didn't want to talk about it while we were still inside that fucking casino!" Zach raises his voice and scowls.