22| Clearing out

The smell of coffee wakes me up the next morning. When I open my eyes, Zach is sitting on the edge of the bed with two steamy mugs in his hands.

"Did you sleep well?" he asks with his raspy morning voice.

I yawn and stretch myself before I sit up and lean against the headboard.

"Like a baby," I say and take the cup from Zach. "Thanks for the coffee," I add and sip on the hot delicious brew.

Zach smiles and places his mug on the nightstand.

"You're welcome. Now, scoot over!" he orders, and I comply.

He crawls into bed next to me and wraps his arm around my shoulder. I lean against his bare chest, trying my best to not spill the coffee.

"Do you have any plans for today?" Zach asks me. I watch his fingers tracing random shapes on my arm while thinking about an answer.

"Not yet, and you?" I turn my head to face him.

"I have to start tidying out my stepdad's flat. I want to get rid of T's stuff and then I want to see if I can sell the apartment. This place is like hell for me. The surrounding is terrible, the heating is more or less broken, and everything reminds me of my stepdad and Terrence," Zach mutters and grabs his mug to take a huge gulp.

I have to admit that I never thought about the apartment since Terrence died. I know Zach spent the nights there when he wasn't with me, but I never asked him how he felt about spending time in that hellhole. I have only been once at his place, but I remember it as quite shabby and messy.

"Oh. I could help you?" I suggest, knowing that going through the old stuff from his dead stepbrother and stepdad might be disturbing for him.

"You'd do that?" Zach asks me with raised eyebrows.

"Of course. I mean, I don't want to intrude, but I thought you could use some support there," I reply with a shrug.

Zach tilts his head and eyes me for a second.

"Actually, I was going to ask you, but then I thought it could be too much to ask from you, so I hesitated," he says with a low voice.

"Zach, that's not too much to ask for. You've been nothing but supportive and fond since that night when Terrence died, and I want to be there for you too," I retort with a serious expression.

Zach plays with the ends of my hair and seems to be lost in thoughts for a moment.

I watch his beautiful features as he absentmindedly bites on the inside of his lip and looks into the distance. Sitting there like this with his tousled hair and his dark sleepy eyes he looks so adorable and peaceful. I can't help but admire him.

The moment he realizes I'm looking at him, he startles and faces me awkwardly.

"Sorry, I was just buried in thoughts. So, is it really okay for you to help me tidying up? I mean it's your day off, and there are many other, better ways to spend a Saturday," he mutters and empties his cup before sitting it back on the nightstand.

"It's more than okay," I state and beam up to Zach. "We should get ready then," I add and take the last sip of my coffee.

Zach takes the mug out of my hand and puts it on the nightstand next to his. He grabs me by my waist and pulls me on top of him.

"Thank you," he mumbles and pulls me down. His face is only inches away from mine, and he eyes me fondly for a moment before gently attaching his lips to mine.

I happily melt into the kiss and enjoy the closeness and the warmth of his body. His hands wander down my back, pulling me closer.

"Zach," I sigh into his mouth. "I need to shower."