Chapter Twelve: Lost Strength

The Hokage stepping down from duty should not have been a surprise to ninjas who stood at his side for years. He was commissioned suddenly once the Forth died, so when he was given the chance to find a successor after Orochimaru's failed attempt at killing him, he took it.

He didn't quite know how he survived, all that he could remember was that four strangers came to his rescue and sent Orochimaru running with his hands severely injured. He was sure that he would have died there if that wasn't the case. Previously instructing ninjas to find those four strangers, to this day, he was unable to discover their whereabouts.

Sitting in his office was none other than Team Seven. They stood tall and proud with their lazy instructor behind them reading his pupil's lewd stories that he too secretly enjoyed.

"As you know, I'm unable to find my student to take my place. Perhaps she had heard of my search for her and is laying low. Your mission isn't to find her, I was just letting you know that Naruto will be dispatched with Jiraiya in search for her soon." Hiruzen said, his Hokage cloak was long gone, instead, he wore his casual clothes. "While he is away, I entrust the rest of you to help out a little bit more even though it's least favourable."

"Chores again?" Sasuke grumbled, stuffing his hands into his pocket.

Hinata nudged him and smiled, "we need to help out...besides...I thought you—"

"I was called?" Sitting on the windowsill was the white haired Sannin whose back was turned to them.

"Jiraiya, you're here a little early."

Naruto groaned, his shoulders slouched as he looked at his teacher. "Don't get me wrong, I'd love to step out of the village once more, but with him?" He pouted, "why can't my team come along?"

"Jiraiya is planning on training you while you are out on this mission. Your team will not be needed, I assure you. Now, since he's here, you all are dismissed. Naruto, stay behind. Oh! You two are needed near the marketplace, there's a lot of debris that needs to be moved."

The team bowed and left quickly. Kakashi departed from his remaining pupils once he was sure that they would be alright on their own. Sasuke and Hinata walked side by side as they talked amongst themselves.

The market district was a few ways away from the Hokage tower, and there was no rush, so they took their time. Hinata's hand itched to hold Sasuke's, just to see what it was like. Their relationship wasn't exactly set in stone, there was no label, and they continued to be around one another without an issue.

The only difference was the quick shy glances she would send him, which he would return with a knowing smile and hushed words.

"I can't believe we're still fixing this place." Sasuke stopped, feeling her bump into his back before he turned around. "What's on your mind? You're usually quick on your feet and paying attention."

"Nothing." She looked away and blushed, embarrassed that her mind was occupied with the wish to hold his hand and be close to him.

Sasuke raised his eyebrow, watching her hand clench and unclench. Rolling his eyes, he grabbed her hand and kept walking. "If you wanted to, you could've just done it."

Hinata's cheeks remained pink, her mouth squeezed shut as she stared at their laced fingers. "You don't seem like the type to..."

"Hold hands? To show public affection? I don't seem like a lot of things." He pulled her hands into his pocket, "it's not like I hate it...I just don't see the reason in doing it."

"Then why?"

He pulled her into an alleyway and pushed her against the wall gently. He shrugged and poked her forehead. "You've been wanting to do that for a while, haven't you? You're embarrassed easily, and you don't know how I would feel if you were to become clingy. I assume it's partially because I hate constant contact, is it not?"