Chapter Two: Mistakes

The click clacks of her shoes as she walked down the spiraling staircase echoed through the long winding hallway. It was colder than she'd realized but her body quickly adjusted to the change in temperature like it always did.

Knocking on the door, she waited to hear the voice of her teacher and opened it. "You called?" Her pink hair framed her face, the red cloth of her headband sat snuggly on top of her head, the silver plate glinting in the light of the lit candles.

"Come in and close the door behind you." Tsunade glanced at her briefly, going back to study the paper on the desk. "I'm sending you on a mission with Naruto again."

"Oh? What for?" She placed the torch she held on the hook, walking over to Tsunade and staring at the sheets of paper that littered the small table.

"You're already a temporary replacement for his teammates, and seeing as Hinata had disobeyed my orders, you might become a permanent member." The old blond woman discarded the paper after reading its contents, moving on to another.

"Disobey?"

"I told her to not go after the Uchiha, she did without thinking twice. I warned her that I would strip her of her ninja title if she did so." Tsunade handed her a note. "Take that to Kakashi, you will be joining Naruto, Captain Yamoto, Sai and him."

She scanned the documents quickly, "what do we do if we find them?"

"Bring them back at all costs. I don't care if they're missing an arm or leg after this. Those two need to be punished for their stupidity and betrayal."

"Was it really a betrayal, Lady Tsunade? They haven't—"

"They're in cahoots with the person who attacked the Third Hokage, I do not need to know the whys about their departure. They made their choice, they'll pay for it. I'm not forcing you to go along, I know how you see those two, especially—"

"I have no interest in the Uchiha anymore, I've told you this." Sakura frowned.

"Yet, I can't ignore your past, Sakura. I'm trusting you to do your best on this mission, I've trained you myself and I expect no less from my own pupil. If I find out that you've played a role in their escape—"

"I will try my best, but I will not make promises. Hinata is strong, so is Sasuke, if they want to get caught, then they will."

"I know she's your friend, Sakura. I know you miss her, and you understand her more than any of us do...but don't let your emotions cloud your judgment."

"Are you doubting my rationality, Lady Tsunade? If you are, why are you sending me on this mission?"

"Because I trust that you know where you lay your head at night. Your loyalties lie in the Leaf, nowhere else. Now go," Tsunade checked the time, "you'll be late for the team meeting. Today, you'll get introduced to Sai."

Sakura bowed and said nothing more. She left quickly, closing the door behind her, the note clutched in her hand. Walking up the stairs once more, she greeted the guards and left the Hokage tower.

Having known who the other three were, the pale boy who held a fake smile made her stomach twist in unease. Introducing herself to him, he returned it with a tight smile and a harsh 'nickname' that made her glare at him.

"Now that formalities are done with, the new Team Seven will embark on their mission." Kakashi said.

"Can we...not call it the 'New Team Seven'? Please?" Naruto frowned and stared at Kakashi.

"Ah, sorry, it was a slip of the tongue. Alright...let's meet at the gates before the sun sets, that should give everyone time to pack their things for the trip."