Chapter Two: New Shoes

She had big news; something she couldn't keep to herself even as she sat on their bed, smiling widely. Hinata laid down and stared at the ceiling, sleep barely taking over as she blinked it away. The house was quiet, Kairi was fast asleep and Sasuke was on a mission.

He's supposed to return soon.

At least, that's what his letter said. She was excited, thrilled, so much so that she wanted to tell Kairi first. But that's not fair, not yet, the boy had a bad habit of running his mouth whenever he got excited. She wanted to be the one to tell Sasuke. Lifting her hand above her face, the light shined softly on the small jewel.

It wasn't anything crazy, just a small ring...signifying their special bond and a promise to one another. She had joked about a wedding in the forest, watching as he frowned somewhat. It was their little joke — Sasuke wasn't one for all those pleasantries. He just grabbed her hand one night and put it on, poked her forehead like he always did, and stayed silent as she stared at it.

Oh, Sasuke.

Hinata turned to her side, facing where he'd usually sleep. His pillow was cold, untouched, and a part of her wanted him here for tonight. So she could share the news. Always patient, always waiting. He was lucky she wasn't feisty, but even if she was, he was hers and she was his. She'd understand, and he'd apologize. This was out of their control for the time being, soon, they'd be able to live without those missions, just alone, them and their small family.

In the morning, his sword lay on the dinner table, because he knew she hated when he did that. His cloak hung on the chair, his shoes placed by the door, yet he was nowhere in sight. Hinata had cleaned up quietly, washed his dirt ridden and blood soaked cloak, put his sword by the door, and put his shoes away.

Her hair was tucked behind her ear, her cheeks rosie, and her lips were plump. She looked different; rounder, happier. She felt his hand rest on her lower back as she hung the cloak outside to dry, her shoulders relaxed, and her eyes widened in excitement. Turning around, she greeted him with a smile, one he matched with firm lips but she could see the way they curled up at the end slightly.

"You're home." She whispered, hugging him while he tightened his arms around her. "Are you tired?"

Sasuke shook his head.

"Are you hurt anywhere?" Her hands wandered across his back, trying to detect any damage.

"No."

"Good, or else I'd have to deal with Naruto." She pulled back and held his hand.

Sasuke let out a puff of air, closing his eyes while attempting to not laugh at her little worries. "How has he been?" He followed behind her as she led him into the house.

"Practicing like usual, he hasn't slacked off one bit. I think he exhausted himself — he hasn't woken up." Hinata sat on the table while he took his place on the chair in front of her. "He wouldn't let me see what he was working on either."

"Good."

"Good?" Hinata raised her eyebrow, "are you two hiding something from me?"

"Hn."

"Sasuke."

"Hn."

"Sasuke, answer me."

"..."

"Uchiha."

"Hyuga."

"Fine, I won't tell you my secret." She crossed her arms and pouted, getting off the table and walking up the stairs. Hinata knew he would follow, he always did.