𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

( — NINE ; UNEXPECTED ENCOUNTER )

IN ALL HONESTY, gossip was somewhat helpful in locating the half-blood. Mila could hear rumors circling of a new girl that had moved to town, and that she was a black-haired and black-eyed beauty. She couldn't exactly pinpoint that clue to be Muzan's daughter, but it was a 50/50 chance.

Her job got a little bit harder since her companion wasn't there with her. She didn't even know what he was doing—Mila guessed Muichiro was just making paper planes—but whatever it was, it was giving Mila a hard time.

"Maybe we shouldn't have stopped for some snacks..." Mila mumbled worriedly, pressing her curled-up fist to her bottom lip. She picked this habit up from Mitsuri. "We could've lost her, for all we know...oh my kami..."

A distant scream alerted her, and she grabbed her katana without hesitation. Mila tore through the crowds, getting occasional curses in return. She found herself in a dark alleyway, where a girl—about twelve or thirteen—stood with her head down, curly black hair in low pigtails, tied off with red beaded ties.

"Little girl, are you okay?!" Mila asked worriedly, her motherly senses kicking in. Just seeing the girl reminded her so much of her own daughter Tsubaki. She couldn't imagine what she would feel if she found Tsubaki in a situation like this.

Only when the girl shifted did Mila notice that there was a blood stain on the middle of the bright red dress, the dark red stain seeping through the fabric.

"Who hurt you?" Mila continued, trying to get a roll of bandage. "Don't be afraid, darling, tell m—"

When Mila finally got around to having the bandage in her hand, she realized that the girl had no injuries. The red dress wasn't ruined in any way. Mila looked up the girl in confusion.

"Little girl? How did you get this blood on you?"

The girl didn't answer, and instead craned her head to the left, still not letting Mila see her eyes.