Chapter 57

‼️‼️SEXUAL CONTENT‼️‼️

KILLIAN

My girlfriend is lying to me.

I'm not sure what exactly it is that she feels she needs to keep from me, but I'm determined to find it out.

Emma has been spending a suspicious amount of her time with Milah while at work. I'm not sure if she thinks I'm completely blind to it, or if she thinks that I wouldn't find it odd that suddenly my girlfriend and my ex have become 'work besties,' but something is off. Every single time I bring up the new friendship to Milah, she changes the subject or tells me I'm paranoid. She says that they tolerate each other for my benefit. Bullshit.

When I see that Milah is not at her desk (big surprise) my first guess is – she's with my girlfriend. I know Emma is worried about our dads finding out about the pregnancy and that she wants me to hang around Milah to keep their scent off until we tell them before going home, but this has become ridiculous. I haven't even seen Emma this week. I'm going down there and I don't really give a fuck who sees me. I want to know what's going on.

I skip the elevators, tugging my tie loose as I take the stairwell which leads me directly to Emma's office. As soon as I swing the door to the stairwell open I can see directly into the small space, spotting Emma at her desk with Milah sitting across from her in deep discussion.

"How long until you get it back?" Milah fidgets with her hair nervously, a trait I'm all too familiar with. Why would their conversation be making her so nervous?

"Today or the day after Christmas.  Hopefully today," Emma answers as she doodles on a piece of paper. "They are only open until three today with it being Christmas Eve."

"What was she like?"

"What was who like?" I cut in, crossing my arms on my chest and seeing both girls jump at my arrival.

Emma quickly tosses her pen to the desk and looks up to me with extremely wide eyes. "My new doctor,"  she answers and looks to Milah, who is keeping an awfully tight lip at the moment. "I had my glucose test, Milah was just wondering how it went."

"I thought you said that was next week, and I thought you weren't going to meet the doctor - that it was just labs?"

Both girls narrow their eyes at me, they are lying and they know that I know they're lying.

"They bumped it up." Emma shrugs. "You didn't let me finish answering her. I didn't meet my new doctor."

The only thing I can think of that these two would be hiding from me right now is regarding my girlfriend's health. They don't want me getting worked up while I am here and I'm about to. I walk to Emma's desk and open the bottom drawer, pulling out the blood pressure cuff that I make her keep here.

"Killian..." Emma groans and rolls those bright green eyes. "I'm fine."

Did she really think I wouldn't check on this? I haven't seen her in days, she isn't even answering my phone calls at night, only texts. If she honestly believes that I will allow her to stay working here if it spikes her hypertension, she is wrong. I will drag her ass home and tell both of our dads the truth.

"Hold out your arm."

She scowls and does as she's told, hiking the sleeve of her blue sweaters-dress up to her shoulder so that I can apply the cuff correctly. I kneel beside her and give it a few squeezes. I look up to her briefly, her eyes catching mine with a familiar warmth that I've been missing for the last few weeks. She feels it too; suddenly her scowl turns into an adorable smile.