Truth

Eight Years Ago

"Matty, over here!" Tony yells across the field.

Mateo pass the ball to Tony and runs to the end zone. It was the last two minutes of the game and their team took the possession where Tony passed the ball again to Mateo and he throws the last touchdown causing they win the game 21-17. Crowd cheers and the stadium went wild once the game end.

"Good game, Mat" his co players appreciate his move.

Mateo run towards his bag at the corner of the field and spray the water out of his water bottle. He took his phone out from his bag and saw eight missed calls from his dad. He immediately punched in his father's number and pressed the phone against his ear.

"Hey dad?"

"Where are you Mat? Is the game over?" his father sounds restless over the phone.

"Yeah, are you ok? You sound off"

"It's about Steve and Lia. They met with an accident and admitted in the emergency"

"Oh my god. Which hospital? I'll come right away" Mateo tensed up.

Steven Jones is Mateo's father's best friend. Their family were doing businesses together for a couple generations. Mateo and Ashley are very close to Caitlin Jones, Steven's daughter, they grew up together.

Mateo runs to the hospital and saw his father Joseph Grahams standing there with folded arms.

"What did the doctor said? How are they doing?" Mateo questioned concernly.

"They didn't make it" Joseph said softly.

"What? How did this happen?" Mateo asked in shock.

"I don't know, the last I heard from Steve he told me he will meet us for dinner tonight but I received a call from the hospital saying that he has been met with an accident" he said worried.

"Does Caitlin know?"

His father nods, "she's inside. I am worried about her, poor girl lost her both parents at the same time"

That is how after three months Joseph brings Caitlin to his house. Elizabeth Grahams, his wife is the wise, kind and caring woman. She understand the loss Caitlin goes through and agreed to take care of her as her own child and accepts her as a part of her family.

"Oh my god! I can't believe it" eleven year old Ashley sounds excited, "it's like having a big sister. You can stay in my room" she said while they're having dinner at their dining room.

"As much as I am happy to be the part of this family" Caitlin smiles, "I need my own privacy. I am sorry dear, I can't share your room" she said carefully.

Ashley pouts.

"Of course, you can stay at the guest room on the left of ours dear" Mrs. Grahams smiled.

"But you will play games with me and tell me stories at night?" Ashley asked hopefully.

"Yes, I will Ash" she pushed a strand of hair behind her ears, "like a good big sister" Caitlin chuckles.

Joseph feels warm looking at them getting along so well.

"Are you ok? you seem like lost in thoughts" his wife furrowed her brows at him.

"Oh, perfect. Thank you for understanding her situation Beth" he rubbed his thumb on her hand.

"That's what family do Joe" she smiled at her husband.

"I love you Beth" he kissed her hand.

"I love you too Joe" she blushed.

After dinner, everyone goes to their room to get some sleep. Caitlin couldn't fall asleep since the place is new and she should get used to it.