5 - So call me, maybe

Your cellphone was nothing more than a glorified clock/calendar with a lot of bells and whistles. The mobile games you had installed were just an added perk - they make you look like you're preoccupied as you busily tap along the screen. More often than not, people tend to steer clear when they see you so hyperfocused on what you're doing. That was the main reason you had your phone on you at all times.

But it was also a double-edged sword.

It made you easy to reach whenever someone wanted to call you. Granted, you could count the number of people who would ever want to call you with one hand...it doesn't change the fact that you hated it whenever someone phones you.

You'd rather text. But even then, there was no guarantee that you'd even reply.

Long and awkward pauses between your thoughts and your words just don't translate well during a call.

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

You weren't that dense enough not to know what other people thought of you. They did not even have to say it to your face.

Now, you weren't going to say something cool like 'I could see it in their eyes or in the way they forced their smiles whenever they try to approach me' - that's the kind of stuff anime protagonists would say.

No. You overheard them yourself.

'Oh, (L/N)? They're just like that, they're really quiet.'

Oh yeah? Well, why won't you shut the fudge up?

'They don't really have much to say...they never speak a lot during class.'

Maybe I just don't find value in idle chatter, ever think about that?

'They come off as a bit cold, don't you think?'

I'm room temperature, thank you very much.

'Gosh, they're kinda lazy, aren't they?'

I'm just on 'energy-saving mode. Leave me alone.

It was funny how much you could learn when people think you're not listening. Just because you had your nose in a book at the time doesn't mean you're deaf. Other people should really learn not to whisper so loudly.

You weren't going to kid yourself.

You know you aren't a well-liked person. But then again, there wasn't even much to like about you to begin with. Almost everything about you was painfully average.

Average looks, average grades, and a super below-average tolerance for bullshit.

Yup. That pretty much sums you up.

You were the side character...no, you were an extra; that one person who is seen in the crowd and given a few seconds of screen time to make the world of the actual protagonists looked 'lived in'.

And you were fine with that. Really, you were.

You have always believed that extras lived a nice and peaceful life given how they're never the center of attention. They also did not have to interact with others too much as they usually don't have a lot of lines to say.