Chapter 13

White left the irregular back in his room before he made his way to the place he knew the healer would be.

His thoughts were fixed on one thing, and one thing only. Yet he wasn't sure whether Miraan's lie should have made his blood boil, or if it amused him that she thought she could hide something from him.

He hadn't bothered to knock on the infirmary doors, only inviting himself in. A sudden barge that caused the healer to snap her head toward White from where she stood by one of the black cabinets. "What—"

"They're alive, aren't they?" he asked, despite already having his answer. He simply wanted to confirm it. Wanted to hear Miraan say the words herself.

Miraan's eyes widened, but she made an attempt at composing herself. "I'm not sure what you're talking about, sir."

Blood boiling it was then. How dare she lie to him. The one who had saved her and the ones she held dear. But he would also be a fool to believe that she had not proven to be useful and had not become someone he grew to rely on, because whether White wanted to admit it or not, he needed the healer in more ways than one. He suppressed his anger.

"You know exactly what I'm referring to, Miraan," he drawled, dragging out each word. "The irregular's parents ... they're alive. You came and healed them after I left that day, before they could die."

"I did," the healer sighed, "because I couldn't just sit back and watch you kill them. FUG got my parents killed. I couldn't let the same thing happen to Aria. Whether they're her real parents or not. Whether I knew her at the time or not."

White waved a hand in dismissal. "Oh, I don't care why you healed them. Or even that you healed them at all. What matters is that you lied to me." He absentmindedly traced a finger over the hilt of his sheathed sword. Though when the healer seemed to tense at the action, he lowered his hand. He hadn't grinned like would've with the irregular girl. Miraan should've known better than anyone that he wouldn't raise his blade toward her for such a small issue. There was no use in making his own healer fear him. "I don't like being lied to."

"So, are you not planning to go and kill them?" Miraan asked him in return. "And if I had told you before, would you have reacted as you are now?"

He shrugged. "I probably wouldn't have been bothered if you'd just told me earlier. As for my current plans..." White scanned Miraan's expression. "Re-killing the irregular's parents aren't a part of them."

The healer's face went from questioning to dumbfounded. "You're not going to kill them," she repeated.

He flashed her his usual dark grin. "As long as Aria believes I killed them, it'll be fine. I need her to despise and fear me at the same time. She'll only ever listen to me out of fear. And she'll only ever have what it takes to hone her swordsmanship skills if she has the will to kill. We both know there's no one other than me that she'd be willing, or rather, hoping to kill."

He began towards the door, then paused. Once more, he glanced at the healer.

"Them being alive won't affect me, and you better hope it doesn't affect her. Because if she hears of this, then I'll have little reason to put my trust in you any longer ... and I'll be sure to make you watch when I finally kill the irregular." His grin widened as his own words sunk in. "Don't think that because I need you as a healer that I'd just let your little lie—your betrayal-slide so easily. I know you've grown to care for the girl. And that'll be one of your biggest mistakes."

As he reached for the doors, a small laugh echoed throughout the room. White snapped his gaze back toward the healer. How could she have been laughing after what he'd just told her?