Chapter 15

Aria did not falter as she entered the room and met the Slayer's eyes. Against all her instincts, she strode up to where he sat at the edge of his bed. "Do you really not feel any sort of remorse for what you've done?" she asked, her voice stronger and clearer than ever.

"You'll need to be a bit more specific." The demon grinned wickedly, apparently amused to see her in such a mood. "I've done a lot of things to a lot of people," he hummed in mocking thought.

If there was any fear within her, she'd shoved it down. "In the past, I looked up to you," she began, meeting the Slayer's stare with ease, "and you crushed all the hope-all the dreams-that I once had, and replaced them with a desire for revenge. So tell me, do you not feel any sort of guilt for what you've done ... to me."

The Slayer's answer was immediate. "Of course not. What did you expect? I really am a monstrous bastard as some would say."

No, she didn't expect him to give her the response she wanted. Though she didn't expect him to give her the full truth either. And she'd do what she had to do to get it out of him. Still, she would admit that for a moment, she wasn't sure what to say, despite having rehearsed the conversation in her head over and over just minutes ago. Her gaze hardened further when she knew what she had to say.

"Well, apparently you're a hypocrite too," she drawled, mocking his tone with a calm rage. "You did the same thing to me that your father did to you. You looked up to him and from what you've told me, it seems like he replaced your hopeful dreams to ones filled with twisted, malicious intent. You are just like hi-"

"That is where I draw the line, Aria. I let you speak because I thought this would be a rather entertaining conversation." The demon had risen to his feet, glaring down at her. "However, if you talk anymore of this nonsense, I swear I will-"

"You'll what?" Aria interjected, tilting her head up toward him. "Kill me? By now, we both know you're still too much of a coward to do that."

"What did you just say?" he seethed, and yet, a hint of shock flashed across his features for a split second.

She hadn't been sure of it before, but the expression on the Slayer's face confirmed her suspicions. She knew what she said was true. Even without his reaction, all the hesitations behind his recent threats should've said enough. It just took her some time to figure out what exactly was being said. What kind of fear lurked behind the barriers the demon had put up.

Remaining unfazed from his threats, Aria replied coolly, "Kill me, and you'll gain power. At first glance, it seems like a win-win situation for you. You get me to shut up and you get power." The Slayer furrowed his brows in a way that showed his confusion in her reasoning. "On the other hand, we both know the power you would get from me could very well be enough to catch the attention of a certain head of your family. And we both know you're afraid of facing him. You're afraid of not being strong enough."

She could've sworn he tensed. "I am not afraid," the demon defended.

"Do not lie to me," she said, regarding his stilled movements. "And do not ... lie to yourself. Admit it, White, you are afraid."

He seemed to come to a complete stop at her accusations, and perhaps, the way his name rolled off her tongue for the first time in quite a while. Aria used a tone that was testing the waters, somewhere between a breath and a whisper and a seethe. Though for once, she didn't shudder at the thought of saying the name aloud. She had Miraan to thank for that.

Finally, the Slayer shifted from his position, stepping away from her. For a moment, she thought he was going to leave, but he halted at the foot of his bed.