Chapter 25

"Some people have the wrong idea that if they just get strong enough, everything will be different, but when they reflect on themselves after getting stronger, they realize they've become far more twisted than they ever wanted. A monster obsessed only with turning their whole body into a weapon and focusing all their energy on defeating someone. People like that may be able to save others ... but they can't save themselves. In the end, they destroy themselves and those around them...

Always beware and keep a close eye on your own power. If you can't save yourself, you can't save anyone."

- Jinsung Ha, [Season 3] Ep. 73

A/N: These words made me think of someone... I wonder how accurate they'll be in regards to the events of this story 🤔. Haha.
---

"Are you going to find them?"

White frowned from where he'd taken a seat on his own bed, across from her. "Of course. I have some unfinished business with the bastards who took you. And I will find that leader of theirs. Though I have no intention of giving him any sort of quick death." His expression went dark in a way that was horribly familiar. She nearly wanted to shudder. "It won't be pleasant, not before he breathes his last, and certainly not after. The same goes for the rest of those who dared to touch you."

Aria glanced at her clenched hands, which she rested in her lap. That hadn't been how she expected the morning to go. There was something else she'd planned on asking him, but she wasn't sure she wanted to ask anymore. Perhaps that was her punishment for allowing herself to be consoled by him. Perhaps that reminder of what he was capable of, what he instinctively turned to, was exactly what she deserved.

The Slayer seemed to catch on to her unease. "I've seen that look in your eyes. You're scared. And I don't think it's just because of him still running free."

She remained silent.

"Actually, your reaction doesn't have to do with him at all," he concluded, and the bright room seemed to darken. "Are you really still afraid ... of me?"

Aria let out a breath before lifting her gaze. "I'm not scared of you. I'm not scared in the slightest of being around you. I know you won't intentionally hurt me." He seemed almost satisfied, relieved, but she wasn't finished. "But I am afraid of what kind of terrible things you can so easily talk about. The worst part about it is that I know you'd actually go through with all that you're saying-that you have done it already in the past millions, if not billions, of times without an ounce of regret."

"I..." It seemed he hadn't even known what to say anymore. And neither did she.

Once again, it brought up the question of whether or not it'd all been worth it. Whether or not getting him to let her in had solved anything. Truth be told, she didn't even want to consider it. She refused to believe it was a waste of time. Whether that was selfish of her or not, she wasn't sure. She had other problems of her own anyways, rather painful problems, and she realized she wanted to deal with them first. She wanted to make a request in order to convince herself she wasn't useless, with or without her shinsu.

"You know what, just forget it for now," she said, pushing their conversation aside to deal with later. "There's something else I want to ask of you."

He was clearly still rather unsettled by her previous words, but he seemed relieved to be moving on to a different subject. "And that is?"

She smiled faintly. "I want to spar."

His eyebrows furrowed at the request. "Why? You were seriously injured just hours ago. Why do you want to fight me all of a sudden?"