Chapter 4

A woman with hair darker than blood stood outside those double doors, listening quietly.

The sound of soft footsteps caught her attention and she moved to give way to the one exiting the room. She waited as the door swung open and her employer entered her sights. His eyes met hers and an unsurprised look crossed his features.

"Ah, Miraan, I had a feeling you'd be waiting here." The man paused before crossing his arms, a glare directed towards her. "I thought I spoke to you about eavesdropping on my conversations. Although, I was going to go look for you anyways, so I suppose your occasional disregard for my words wasn't such a bad thing for once."

Miraan glanced back at the doorway besides her as she heard the faint sound of something she had grown to be familiar with. She clenched her hands into fists. "What did you need to find me for, sir?"

She had known what White would want to discuss with her before he even opened his mouth. She knew exactly what she did, and she did not regret the problem it would cause the Slayer. The only guilt she felt for her actions, was caused by the physical pain she knew her decisions would result in. Otherwise, she knew she did the right thing.

"I needed to speak with you about the irregular's injuries. You're a skilled healer. You fixed all of my wounds in only one day. Granted, I hadn't been as injured as her." He waved his hand through the air at her pensive expression. "Now, I didn't expect you to be able to completely heal all of her injuries at once. After all, she was practically half-dead when you got to her. However, her state doesn't seem to have changed all that much and I know you can do better. So, I'd like to assume you had a good reason for not healing the girl properly."

For a moment, the healer hadn't been sure whether or not telling the truth was a good decision. But when she listened to the faint, but familiar sound she'd grown to hate once again, she found no reason to lie. "She needs more time to mourn before you throw her into training she never wanted," Miraan whispered, not wanting to risk being heard by the said girl. "I figured if she were still injured, you wouldn't force her into anything just yet."

Her employer had always been quite stubborn. It had been one of the things she'd noticed first in her time working for him. Once he made up his mind, it was near impossible to change it. As the years passed, she'd gotten used to her opinions passing straight through him, as though White had never even bothered to listen. So his answer to her request shouldn't have shocked her. Unfortunately, it had been about something she couldn't take no as an answer for.

"I don't fully understand the reason she's so distraught, so I can't say I see a reason to give her more time than I already have to grieve."

"She th-... knows you killed her parents, of course she's distraught." Miraan had to catch herself there, before she revealed something she wasn't supposed to. "You may not understand the kind of pain she's going through right now, but you should know better than anyone that I do. And I know she won't be able to handle what you're going to put her through in her current mental condition. She won't get any stronger if you don't let her be for now."

And for once, she waited as the Slayer contemplated her words. Eventually, he sighed, moving his gaze towards the door. "Fine, I'll give her three days." White strode past her, only making it a few steps before halting. "Oh, and start healing the irregular properly when she wakes up. It was amusing at first, but it's really just pathetic seeing someone like her in such a state."

And with that, he walked away, leaving Miraan to register what had just happened. A slow, but sure smile crept its way onto her face. She placed a hand on the cool metal besides her. An attempt at comforting the girl that sobbed behind it.