Chapter 17

(A/N: ^^I guess you have to change that Aria... 😂)
---

As Aria took step after step up the maze of the middle area, her rather unusual silver sword remained sheathed at her side beneath the black fabric of her cloak. Even separated from the palms of her hand, it was clearly ready for use against those fortunate enough to cross paths with her rather than the Slayer.

She shifted her gaze toward White who bore an almost blank expression in stark contrast to his previous anticipation of what was about to unfold. Whether she should've been concerned or glad wasn't all that clear to her.

Before they'd left, he had explained that his destinations really weren't picked at random. They'd all been brought to his attention through his connections with FUG. He also mentioned that they'd simply be heading to a relatively small and unknown base as it was more … fitting for her. Still, Aria would be facing off against those who had crossed the organization in the past. People who were against the change that FUG desired, as she heard.

She wondered how the Slayer's actions and reputation hadn't caught up to him yet. How he could have possibly gone on these ‘outings’ without facing the consequences. Though perhaps it wouldn't be long before that would happen. At the end of the day, whether it would be Aria who made him pay, or someone else entirely, she didn't care too much. As long as he got what he deserved. 

“We're almost there,” White warned her with a serious tone and a quick side-glance. “Pull your hood up.”
Aria did as she was told without hesitation, tucking her braid into her cloak. She was also quick to tie a strip of black fabric around her face to cover her mouth and nose. She too hadn't been inclined to attract attention to her identity.

The stairs flattened into a platform sooner than she thought. And she found herself peering down at quite an impressive landscape of quite a few large, fortified buildings scattered across rocky ground. Still, from where she stood, she could see where the base ended—where the ground gave away to open sky. Perhaps it wouldn't be too overwhelming. 

Aria could sense the scattered presences of more than a few strong beings—rankers, most likely. Though not a single aura was nearly as suffocating as the Slayer's had been when she'd met him for the first time after developing her abilities with shinsu. Even so, she wouldn't risk underestimating them.

A movement caught her eye and she watched as White pointed a finger towards the building at the very center of the base. “That's where you'll make your entrance. I, on the other hand, will begin on the outskirts and drive the attention away from you.”

She made no arguments. Instead, her focus was already trained on her destination. From within the building's steel walls, Aria could feel someone, or something, rather strange. Not dangerous, but just … unnerving. And with her distance, she couldn't possibly strain herself to peer through the windows. 

She could feel the Slayer's gaze rest on her. “By the way, before you get any ideas, I should add that I have eyes on you, on behalf of my separate agenda for today. I'll be notified the second you stray from your task.” 

She was reminded of the pair of violet eyes she'd caught glaring at her from the shadows. Sighing, Aria gave him a curt nod and leaned forward slightly over the edge. There was a sudden rush of air by her side and she turned to see the once occupied space empty. Then there was a scream … and she realized what was going on.

Her vision grew blurry for a moment and she saw trees and snow and blood. Lots of blood. Gritting her teeth and shaking her head, she gripped her right hand tightly around the hilt of her sword. If she wasted any more time, more people would die. This was her chance to save them. It was now or never.