A Figurine, a Restaurant, a Scene VI

Promptly, being a family of three, me, Kiki, and Annalise entered the awaited restaurant. As usual to what can I recall last time, the place was crammed, and brimming with familial costumers. In truth, I didn't see an individual devouring a dish alone; each and every one of the patrons had a family—at least of one member—sitting beside. No wonder why the founder named it as 'All for One Diner.'

     By the time we were sitting at our table, settled and waiting for a customer service, one tall waiter approached us, quick as a split-second. He waited for us to decide the orders, whilst him holding a pen and a little notepad. As for the habit, my wife took care of our orders.

     Of course, since before, Annalise could manage it all alone. She always knew what we wanted, notably, if we would speak in terms of food and beverages. As for everyday breakfast and dinner, she fails needing anyone's help to figure which food we'd eat every morning and night. Adding the fact, as well, that it's Annalise's favorite restaurant, so, for sure, she knows what's best to order.

     After the tall waiter wrote our orders, he gave my wife a smile; then he left us in manners of calmness and professionalism. I, by then, focused my attention toward my daughter, who was reading the back of the box of her new videogames. She was smiling Up to her ears, hanging with her long-term glittering eyes, those eyes she had from the Game Station before until now. That I could attest, Kiki looked so enchanted to her new games. She was so enthralled she might not be ready to talk to anyone yet. That kind of thrill.

     While we were waiting for our food to come, I happened to ask my wife something, to sweep away the silence of waiting. "Honey, how many months has it been?"

     "Being here?"

     "Yes, two or three? I can't really remember."

     "Three," she answered. "Long time for us, really. I've been wanting to come here at least twice a month, but I guess it's quite true— the thing I read on the Internet, just last week. That: jobs, well, can sometimes be a problem of doing what you want. It can be a chain."

     "What kind of chain, you mean, metal links?"

     She nodded.

     "You know, considering it's your most favorite diner," I said, "and place of our first anniversary as a couple, yeah, I believe you totally missed being here. You missed here very much it's the first time I heard you doubt your job."

     "Exactly..." My wife turned around to see, to the roundabouts of the gilded restaurant for families. For one, she might be reminiscing the time we came here on our first anniversary; Annalise could be daydreaming of the gone past. "Well, to tell you the truth, what you said is why this restaurant is the bomb. Simply because we celebrated our first year of being together right here. Now, go take a little breather. Take a very long look at us, your family. It's been years. It's been a long time, and years passed like leaves fall from tree branches— yet here we are, still a family. We're really a keeper."

     "Which is nice, and truly kind of beautiful."

     "Indeed."

     "Never have I ever thought of myself having a family that'll last for years, if I'm being honest with you."

     "Don't start now..."

     "It's true. I only thought of myself as loner, not a family man— loner but contented in my own life. But in the course of time, I guess I turned out to be luckier. I'm blessed in building a family than I thought I was. I'm lucky I have met you in my life."

     "Well," she said, "you can consider yourself that."

     "What, lucky? Why only me?"

     "I'm lucky too, of course," my wife kept on. "And you know, frankly speaking, I don't usually say this at any dining table but listen." Annalise cleared her throat; she paused for a moment, then finally continued. "I want us to last— you and I."