Chapter 5 - Stay away

Mycroft was figuring out who could be one of Moriarty's men, sending his watchful eyes on them to collect more convicting evidence. You were curled on the couch with a blanket on your lap, Mrs Hudson making a cup of tea for you before leaving.

John's phone started to ring, a normal tone but the tension was deadly. The obvious tremble form the unknown caller ID was seen in John's hand. "Hello?" His eyes shut in an obvious expectancy.

A man's voice was heard on the other line, John lifting the phone in the air and putting it on speaker. "Dear me, must you ruin my gift to lovely Y/n?"

"What do you want Moriarty?" Sherlock snarls.

"To talk to Y/n, is she there? Those blinds are pesky things, really-"

"You are not to talk to her, Moriarty," your eldest brother states.

"Oh, so she is there? My dear, did you enjoy the boots? They are the right ones, correct?" Sherlock shook his head telling you not to say anything, breathing forbidden if possible. "Now, now, Sherlock, let her speak, I do want to hear her voice, phone cameras hardly captures the purest emotion in a voice,"

"What do you want with her?"

"Can't I get to know the youngest Holmes? Evidently she has more emotional smarts than you boys, new and interesting, I dare say, smarter even," you sunk further into the seat, unable to understand how to react. "Must I beg? Please~" He drag out.

"If I speak, maybe he'll hang up," you mumble to Mycroft who clenches his jaw then nods.

"Oh, I hear her! Do put me on," the phone was handed over. "And take it off speaker," his voice turned a little sinister.

Doing as told, the cold screen shivered your skin. "Y-yes?"

"Relax, my dear," his laugh was light yet malicious. "Did you like the boots?"

"Yes, thank you, Moriarty," each word was barely audible, any louder and your voice might show it's true fear.

"Please, Jim is quite fine," he sighs out, a smile obviously on his lips. "Now, would you prefer letters or text? I find letters hold more sentiment-"

"Neither," this was more stern, your regain of composure flooding easily. "Don't contact me again, please,"

"Hm, you asked so nicely... but the answer is no, I want to get to know you better, dear, you caught my eye, you see, you're different,"

"Are you insulting me??"

"Quite the opposite, you are unique and for once, interest me more so than your annoying brothers,"

"Stay away from me," you snap, hanging up quickly. Shuddered breaths left your lips, phone now back in John's hand.

"Did you decline keeping in contact with him? We could have gotten a lead to him, think it through next time, Y/n," Sherlock deadpans.

"Are you serious?!" Abruptly standing up, Sherlock was surprised at your tone. "Think it through?? I'm not getting into your bitchy cat fight with that bastard, Sherlock!"

"She is right, Sherlock," Mycroft tipped on his heels. "Besides, if she was to keep in contact it would be under my control, which reminds me-"

"No, I'm sick of your stupid games! You boys act like I'm a pawn to toy with, like a fucking voodoo doll to get what you want, I don't want anything to do with this, got it?"

"She's right, you boys act like she is anything else but your sister," Mrs Hudson came back with a plate of cookies. "Now, how about you go relax without these men bothering you?"

"Thank you, Mrs H... Oh, and for your niece..." you ran out the room then back now with a small canvas with a portrait of Elsa from Frozen.

"You gorgeous girl, thank you so much, she will love this," she pinches your cheek, kissing it before leaving.

"I didn't know you still did art," Mycroft mumbles Sherlock's exact thoughts.

"You don't know a lot about me, and it seems our brother sister day out was a waste yet again," heel turned to the hall, you marched away with your nose up and tears held back.

Slumped against the comfy duvet of your bed, you roll around until fully submerged. Charging on your nightstand, your phone pinged and you immediately picked it up. Thankfully it wasn't anyone but Molly.

Simply asking about your day, wondering if you wanted to get a coffee with her tomorrow. The day had been too much, doing anything except go to work tomorrow was already a taxing idea, so declining it was the only option.

You turned on your side, grabbing a book and propping up to read yet your eyes lacked focus for such a task.

Night had fallen soon as you lay awake staring at the ceiling. Random bits of music flowing in one ear and right out the other like a mocking loop. How joyous!

Moriarty's gift was still strewn in the corner, the box glistening under the street light streaming through. Each spec of what looked to be gold dust flecked off to your eyes, drawing you in until you knelt in front of it. The boots were oddly placed but you fixed that, pushing the box under your bed and putting the shoes away.

They were comfortable to wear to work and not too formal. Guess your next day footwear was sorted.

~~~

I hope you guys are enjoying this??

- Anna ❤️