4

Ellie and Charles waited patiently as they saw Henry looking between them and thinking of how to explain the situation.

Henry opened his mouth to speak, but was unable to get words out.

"You need a book?" asked Charles and got out a small notebook and a pen from his pocket.

"You always carry around a notebook?" asked Ellie.

"Hey, it may come in handy while working in the goverment, but seemed important to be used here" said Charles. "Here you go, Henry"

Henry gave him a nod and accepted the small book and pen.

He flipped to a random blank page and began writing.

"You probably won't believe me, but I have the power to jump between timelines and given options to make at different scenarios at different times"

Henry turned the book towards them and waited for them to read and register the text.

"What?" asked Ellie confused.

"What do you mean jump between timelines and given options?" asked Charles.

Henry sighed as he knew that this would happen.

"Timelines are like different dimensions where anything different from our world will make a totally different world besides ours.
The options are like when we ran up this hill.
When it happens the time and world will freeze and options with different things appear infront of me for me to choose.
If I pick the wrong one I fail which could lead to many different things"

"That's just cool!" beamed Charles. "So that's how you suddenly get your stuff and succsses everytime we go on missions?"

Henry gave him a nod, but then had a down look.

Ellie and Charles looked at eachother then Ellie went to give a question.

"So why did you call it a curse if you can choose the outcome of a whole timeline?" asked Ellie.

Henry looked down and began to write slowly.

"If I am held on one single timeline for a long periode of time I get haunted by previous fails and the bad endings I have gone through"

"But... How bad are these fails since they take such a toll on you?" asked Ellie.

Henry looked at her then looked down as he knew that they would never know the feeling.

"How about you just jump into a different timeline and then back to reset this effect you get?" asked Charles.

"Yeah" nodded Ellie. "It can't be that bad, and when you get back you won't have to have more bad night for a while again"

Henry looked at them unsure if he even wanted to do that, but by looking at them he could see that they were worried about him, so he gave in.

"Fine" Henry sighed in defeat making the two other smile in relief.

"But what happens to you in this timeline when you jump into another?" asked Charles with Ellie nodding also wondering.

"I don't know really. I would think that either the timeline just stops until I return, I disappear or just drop unconsicious"

"I see" nodded Ellie. "Well atleast we now know what happens if you just drop down or disappear infront of us"

"You should go Henry" said Charles. "Reset this effect and come back so we can hang out again!"

"Alright, but I don't know how long this will take. It can last for a really long time"

"Don't worry" smiled Ellie and slapped his shoulder. "We'll survive, and we'll be waiting for you until you return, right Charles?"