Chapter five

"But she's a runner! Olympic tryouts are two months from now!" Grandma hissed loudly at the doctor who was speaking with her.

"You've been taking care of her for the past twenty years right? How does this make it any diffrent?" I could just make it out her face twisted with rage.

"She has been taking care of me! And she would have no legs!"

"I think she could handle it." I imagined Grandma's hand raised in a slap. But I didn't hear the painful cry from skin on skin.

"I. I just don't know."

"If she doesn't have this surgery, she will die." I could see in my mind's eye my Grandma's sholders slump in defeat.

"How soon?"

"We can do it tomorrow,or next week. No later than next week."

"Alright. I'll ask her." My Grandmother's feet shuffled in, carring her with them.

"Hello Stacey. Did you here it?"

"Yea." I said shortly.

"You always had good hearing. So what do you want?"

"I want for my dad to have never been born!" I spat out the word dad as if it were poisen. Grandma sat down on the edge of my bed.

"But then I wouldn't have you."

"You make the decision. If I am not going to die, then I want you to do it."

"Tomorrow then. Get some sleep."

I didn't want to die. That was the last thing I wanted. But now I had to face amputation.