Chapter 9- Fireworks

••●══════••●۩۞۩●••══════●••

She had never seen this many people before.

It had been a few days since the big battle and construction had started to repair the city. This whole situation was new to her. The clothes Kimberly let her borrow clung tightly to her skin. She didn't know how she felt about these... jeans.

People milled around her at the comet celebration and she clung tightly to Adam's hand to not get lost.

"What are all these people doing here?"

Adam gripped her hand and pulled her through the crowd, "They're all here to celebrate Ryan's comet passing over earth."

"They're here just to celebrate that?"

"Well, it's not an everyday thing to see comets."

"Oh," Mercury said. She reached up and adjusted the piece of cloth Kimberly had given her to replace her veil. A.. bandana, or whatever she had called it.

They saw the rest of the rangers sitting at a table near the edge of the observation deck.

"Hey guys!" Rocky yelled.

Both Kimberly and Aisha stood and gave Mercury a tight hug. Hugs were something Mercury was still getting used to, but she definitely knew they were pleasant.

Kimberly pushed some hair back into Mercury's bandana, "How are you adjusting to earth?"

"It's all very... loud I guess. And I'm not used to shaking hands or hugs just yet. I like it though. I don't have to work all the time to not feel lonely."

Aisha smiled, "Once you get settled in at the command center maybe we can get you enrolled in school."

"What do you learn at school? Sparring?"

"No no no," Kimberly chuckled, "Math, science, history. We'll get you all caught up."

Mercury smiled and they turned back to the table. Adam smiled and pulled a chair out for her before sitting down beside her with a plate of food.

"What is that?" Mercury pointed to the long yellow strands of food on the plate.

"French fries, its pieces of potato that are fried in oil," He said, handing her one.

"We had potatoes on Phaedos."

Adam smiled, "Then you'll like these."

Mercury glanced at it before slowly biting off a piece, her face contorted in confusion. She didn't know what to think of the crisp outside with the mushy inside.

"You'll get used to it. They're the best."

Rocky held out a small tray to her, "Here, try the mini tacos."

She carefully grabbed one and brought it over to her plate, she examined it carefully trying to figure out what was on it.

"That shell is called a tortilla, it's a kind of bread. Inside is meat, lettuce, and cheese. Try it!"

She watched Rocky grab his and take a bite, she carefully followed what he did.

Her eyes widened, "Those are good!"

The rangers laughed as Mercury dug into the whole plate of tacos.

"Hey guys," a boy said, running up to the table.

Adam leaned over to Mercury, "Ivan Ooze took control over all the parents in Angel Grove to build those Zords. Fred got all the kids together to save them."

"Brave kid," she said, Adam nodded in agreement.

"Rumor has it you're quite the hero Fred," Kimberly said.

"I helped a bit, the power rangers did most of the work though," Fred blushed, Tommy gave him a high five.

Tommy ruffled his hair, "Hey, things got tough and you didn't panic. That demonstrates true bravery my friend."

"It's like what you taught me in martial arts. Use your head and stay calm."

Aisha chuckled, "I heard you're in line to be a ranger yourself one of these days."

"Nah," Fred shook his head, "That's impossible."

"Hey," Mercury said, "Anything's possible kid."

Fred smiled, "You really think so?"

Tommy winked at the team, "We know so."

"Hmmm. Fred Kelman, Power Ranger."

"It does have a certain ring to it," Billy said.

Fred smiled widely, "Fred Kelman the gold ranger!"

The group laughed and Tommy gave him another high five. A boom came from the sky and Mercury shot up from her chair.

"It's okay!" Adam grabbed her hand, "Look!"

Mercury watched in wonder as flashes of colored fire lit up the sky.

"How do they do that?" she asked breathlessly.

Adam chuckled, "I wish I knew. I don't have answers to everything."

Mercury sighed and went over to join the rangers leaning against the rail. Adam turned to look at her, her eyes reflected every color that lit up the sky that night. She turned to look around as everyone cheered.

"Do they do this every night?"

"Only on special occasions," Adam said.

Mercury sighed, "I wish every night was a special occasion then."

A giant flash of light happened and the words 'Thank you Power Rangers' showed up causing everyone to cheer even louder.

Mercury didn't take her eyes off the sky the entire time. Her veil had come slightly off and she started to feel people's auras coming off in waves. Yellow auras, a symbol of happiness and energy, clouded her vision. Looking over at the rangers she saw bright flashes that almost took her breath away. She turned to Adam to tell him but stopped when she saw a light pink. He was looking directly back at her with a wide smile. She'd never seen pink before.

"Are you okay?" he said, his aura then turned a light shade or gray, worry.

"I'm perfectly fine," she said with a smile, one that grew wider when his aura slowly turned yellow.

Music played behind them as the fireworks show finished. Adam reached up and adjusted her veil forwards and the auras faded from her vision. The dull ache in her head didn't affect her as they gathered their things, laughing and dancing with them on the way home.

Mercury had a feeling she was going to like being on earth.

»——•——«
This is by far my favorite chapter so far! Which one is yours?

Don't forget to vote, comment, and add me to your reading list to get updates on Mercury <3

If y'all can save this book to 5 public reading lists I'll post the next chapter early!

and as always I hope y'all are safe and happy and may the power protect you!

••●══════••●۩۞۩●••══════●••