Chapter Eleven: Twisted

"So... we're going back to the place we've been hiding from the entire time..." Paul chuckled nervously. There were a million little conversations happening all around the van, which was packed.

"I guess you could call it the circle of life." Harriet hummed.

"Hey, Bryant, I've got a question." Paul sighed, biting his lip nervously. Bryant was sitting on one side of him, while Emma sat on the other. Harriet was across from him.

"For me specifically?" They blinked.

"Yeah... it's not related to all of this." Paul sighed.

"Alright... shoot." Bryant nodded.

"How did you know you were non-binary?" Paul asked.

"Oh..." Bryant sighed. "Well... there was a certain amount of body dysphoria associated with it. I think... it's a very personal thing. You kind of... there's a bit of a resonance with the term too. I don't know. It's hard to describe. It's not something I just woke up one morning and knew."

"Oh, yeah, I figured." Paul sighed nervously.

"Just so you know, I'm not upset with you for asking that. I think it's cool that a lot of cis people are trying to educate themselves." Bryant clarified, noticing how nervous he was.

"Oh, don't worry about him. He's always this awkward... and I love it." Emma teased.

"Erm... actually, I was asking for a reason." Paul bit his lip.

"What?" Emma blinked.

"I... Emma, I was gonna tell you tonight after all of this, but... I dunno, I've been thinking for a while, and... I don't think I'm cisgender." Paul sighed shakily. "But, like, I know I'm not female. That's... not what I see myself as. But... I dunno. It's kinda like you said, Bryant. The term non-binary, what it encapsulates... it kinda just resonates with me. I'm just... I've gone my whole life being uncomfortable, and it's only now that I think it's clicking, but... am I too old to be making that kind of a discovery about myself? I mean, isn't it a bit late now?"

"Paul, there's no such thing as too late." Bryant smiled softly. "Your feelings are completely valid. And... remember, being non-binary is a spectrum. You can be non-binary and still like stereotypically masculine things. You can still even use the he/him pronouns if that's what makes you comfortable. I'm... I barely know you, but I'm proud of you. Coming out, even to yourself, is hard. You're doing great, and you're completely valid."

"Thanks." Paul smiled back shyly.

"I mean, ditto." Emma soothed him. "Ditto to everything they said. I love you, Paul, for who you are. Your gender identity... well, I'm not gonna say it doesn't matter to me, because it does. I want to be able to respect you. That matters to me. But... I support you, Paul."

"Oh thank god." Paul sighed in relief. "I know it's a bit of a bomb to drop on a relationship, and-"

"Paul... I never want you to feel bad for being yourself." Emma shook her head. "You can tell me anything, and... I'll be there for you."

"Okay." Paul chuckled softly. They smirked, wrapping an arm around her. "I love you, Mrs. Matthews."

"I love you too, Mx. Matthews." Emma smirked back, kissing them gently before resting her head on his shoulder. "What pronouns do you want me to use?"

"I think... he and they are what I'm comfortable with." Paul sighed. "And... Mx. or Mr."

"Okay. You got it." Emma nodded. "Why'd you choose now to come out?"