Chapter 1

"Alia...! Alia!!! Get up! Now!"
My mom is screaming her guts at me. Like everyday. Not that I care. But it just hurts my ear. I wish she would stop shouting. I mean, shouldn't she know better by now? You can scream as much as you want, but I still won't get up from my queen-sized bed unless I want to. It's my life.
"Alia!!!!!!!! NOW!"
Duh.
She bangs at my bedroom door. "There's just one hour left for college! You need half an hour for taking bath! When will you improve? When will you grow up? Start taking responsibility?.........."
And there goes the daily lecture. One of these days my ears are going to fall off listening to the same thing again and again like a tape-recorder. Maybe my mom has actually got one, recorded her voice in it, and is playing the damn thing through the door right now.
She bangs her fists again.
"Alright woman, I'm up! Stop banging already!"
She huffs and goes away muttering "What am I going to do with her?"
There's a good reason why I lock my bedroom door at night. Given a chance, my mom could actually come and bang her fists on my head. The woman is unpredictable.
I get up lazily from my bed. Oh you soft pillows, I'm gonna miss you so much. May God bless you for giving me a peaceful sleep at night. Oh wait. Scratch that. There's no God. May...the universe bless you, for what it's worth. God just doesn't exist. Well if he doesn't care about tiny humans like us, why will he care about you. You are just a pillow. Jeez, why am I even thinking this? Whatever.
I realise I'm late for college..again. Not that I care. But it's good to know that I do that regularly at least.
I hurry up, get dressed, gobble down my breakfast, and rush for college on my bike. Not a guy's bike. Its a dio. With a red line around its fibrous body. Well that was its original state until I painted over it with pink, blue, orange, black, green and yellow. Just to cover the red. I hate red. Now my bike is distinguishable even at night, even to a blind dude. Its like neon.
Once I reach college, I hastily park my bike, and rush to the lecture. I dont usually care when I reach my class, but it still isnt good classroom ethics to arrive five minutes before the next lecture is about to begin.
"Ohh Alia.."
Grrrr. Damn that nasal voice all the way to hell. I hate to face my least favourite teacher in the morning. Evening, I can handle the guy, mainly because I'm sleepy from bunking most of the lectures. I hate him, and I hate his stupid subject. Physics.
"So you've finally decided to come, around 30 minutes late, which is almost on time for you. That must be a record, right? Time to call the Prime Minister! We must let him know that you are planning to compete for the All India Who-Can-Come-Late-The-Most-To-Class Competition! We have to let him know that his favourite athelete is-"
"Let me stop you right there, Sethi Sir, your Honour", I interrupt him. "Maybe for once if you wouldn't lecture me about coming late, we could actually finish the syllabus."
Several people snigger.
Sethi sir gives me a death glare and says "Why don't you go back to where you came from, Alia? You can join us tomorrow. Or maybe when the world collapses and all of us die."
Dead silence.
Did that guy actually say that? Such kind of talk is unparliamentary, especially from a teacher. Bastard.
I glare at him, stare past him and mouth to my friend sitting on the first bench "Call me after his lecture gets over", and walk off towards the canteen. I could use a really good drink now. Maybe vodka or something. I've never actually drunk alcohol. I'm not supposed to, mainly because I'm just seventeen.
"Can I have a Coke?" I ask the canteen guy. He's new. I've never seen him before.
"Are you sure you want a coke? Not a cock?" He grins goofily at me.
"Are you sure you want to lose your job right now? Or maybe some of your teeth?", a rugged voice behind me says.
I turn around and find myself staring at the most beautiful pair of eyes. Light brown. A deep set of eyebrows above them. A straight, long nose. Thin lips. A stubble. Man, he's good looking.