Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Selene Adams

"HEY! HOW'S THE day in the office? Is it fine? You told before that you find it hard to adjust to some of your coworkers because they are insensitive and they can easily pile the blame on someone if that person would give negative comments about them. I can fetch you in the afternoon and treat you with your favorite strawberry shortcake. How that sounds?"

Selene rolled her eyes with Shyan's remark on the other side of the line. Since when this brother of her become so thoughtful?

She couldn't remember.

"Come on, Shyan. Say what you want. I have loads of works to do. I'll be happier if I'll fax the papers in your company and you'll help me do it. That sounds fun more than calling just to ask me I'm fine."

"I'm trying my best to be a good brother here, you know. We didn't grow up fighting like cats and dogs so I think it's normal to act like this."

"I know you need something perhaps a favor from me. Spill it out."

"Well-"

"Shyan Adams..." her voice was a total warning.

"I promise I can do all the household chores assigned to you during weekends. And I'll ask this favor just this once."

"See? Truth really won in the end. What is it?"

Since they were kids, Shyan was being thoughtful and extra sweet when he needs something from her. He is the kind of brother who loves to bargain the household chores assigned for them in exchange of the favor he would ask.

During Christmas Eve of 1987, they were sitting under the Christmas tree after they ate dinner and they were about to open their gifts. Both Selene and Shyan are excited and they wanted to know if Santa Claus fulfilled their wish which is a Barbie with the whole clothing collection for Selene and a toy robot for Shyan.

Selene gasps when she opened the gift wrapped in a green gift paper with snow flakes and 'Merry Christmas' lettering.

Santa Claus just made her wish comes true! The Barbie doll with pouty lips, ocean eyes and white hair was so pretty and she hugged it. Then, Selene saw the set of dresses and attire next.

The mermaid attire, long gown costume with lots of beads and ruffles, sporty vibe, two piece of swimsuit for summer, hair brush, hand bag, earrings and necklace, hair accessories and an inflatable tiny pool that only the Barbie doll can swim. It has also a lot of candies in fancy wrapper with different colors.

Selene squealed and hugged her parents. Shyan opened the gift designated for him next.

The one year old him laughed heartily and giggled and his hand reached for the toy robot that they discovered later on can change into car or a be blade.

However, he pouted and stared at the bag of he candies and he mumbled even if it's incoherent that he'll be the one to hold her gift for the meantime in exchange for a five pieces of candy.

Selene laughed with their parents. Until now that they're grown up and even if it sinks to them that Santa Claus isn't real and their parents are the one's buying them gifts, there's still a time that Daniel or Mercy Adams reminded Shyan of his cleverness.

"Beatrice and I will celebrate our fourth year anniversary next month and I'm planning to give her a car as a gift. Can you canvas in the back or in the car company for me? I'm just busy right now and of course, to hide my surprise for Bea."

"Wow! I now believe in the power of change. Suddenly, you want to give her something 'big'."

During their past anniversaries, Shyan gave Beatrice a wallet, channel bag, and a designer couch while Beatrice gave him a condominium which until now, no one stayed because her brother thought she can't live alone, a tailor suit worth hundred dollars and a bank account for their savings in the future.