The Mark (Chap-11)

I had now, two things to be disquiet about: Mom and Max. Tears threatened to leave my eyes but I disallowed them, willed them to my bidding. If Max thought he needed to be strong for both him, and me, then something was irrevocably wrong. Max knew how strong I was. How strong I am.

I didn't know why this place was so horrible but I would find out. I would find out with my strength. And I wouldn't be strong just for him, mom and me, but strong enough for every last person in here.

*****

Time trudged and crawled along in my room, moving like old weary feet succumbing to the quandary that is lumbering along through an everlasting pool of mud-not able to reach their destination (I had now gotten a clock). I tried to watch the television to divert all my restless emotions away but nothing sensible was showing, just a profusion of chic flicks and cartoons that made me want to take the hairbrush-that was provided-and hurl it onto the screen. But that would be a bad idea I told myself. What would entertain me then. But still I wanted to watch the epic stuff, weapons and magic and fire.

Sometime after I picked a show and was watching it uneasily, I was called for hygienic time-accompanied by a guard. I was told that an adjoined bathroom would soon be provided which would suit my liking. I got washed up, finally washed my hair-not that I really cared much about it- and acquired clothes that matched my taste. The shirt was one that I would've picked out for myself; it was a 'T' with the text- My Uncle Is a Donut.

It wasn't a very interesting day. Sometime-very late-it was lights out and I welcomed sleep, but soon after, sleep did not welcome me.

"Ah!"

The scream woke me. It was not that loud, but it was audible.

"Aah!"

This time it lasted longer and was more lucid-it sounded oddly masculine- guttural and painful to the ears as if shards of glass were being drawn against a fighting tar road that was facing a losing battle. What if it was Max? No it wasn't. If it were, I would know. Would you? Yes, I would.

I rose out of bed, and pressed my ear to the door. No more screams. It was done. What they were doing was done and I had a weird feeling bubbling ferociously in my chest, a pot giving its warning before it overflows. My hand seemed to trick my eyes because for a second I thought it was glowing, it took a few blinks for my eyes to see it as it should be-what is was-again. Maybe this was a dream, I was having many weird ones lately, this couldn't be different. I went back into bed and forced my eyes closed and tried to forget what had happened-what did not happen-what was a dream.

*****

"So today, Ms. Hawthorne," Dr. Carter was saying", you will be doing another phase of EVAs."

I nodded.

"In this phase, you will be...interviewed." I sensed some nervousness in her voice. "All of your answers have to be completely truthful because the machine-not an ordinary polygraph-will not let chance of error."

Aaron, Devin and Sadie were sitting on a bench beside a door marked.

ADNA

RM-D EVA-2

I made a guesstimate that RM stood for room and EVA most likely evaluation but I couldn't decipher ADNA. It still confounded me. Immediately as I sat, a salt and pepper haired man emerged from the room with a placid look on his face and ushered Sadie inside. Dr. Carter left with what I interpreted as a feigned smile.