Max'ed (Chap-3)

The sleek, modern-looking corridors were strangely quiet, not strangely clean, because it was always over-clean if that could be so. Not one body could be found, I guess that this is how the corridors look halfway through class.

I made my way to my locker. A nondescript, mundane piece of metal in a rather contemporary hall. I skimmed my timetable to see what I had now: AP English- Room J- and then math- Room D. I shook my head, math, math, math. The spawn of the living evil.

I found my feet inadvertently moving towards English class, speed walking; I didn't see where I was going and collided head first into a huge, six foot, chunk of body. I looked up and I was staring into the amber eyes- eyes the same colour as my father's- of a boy, with a wry grin plastered on his face.

"Well, well, well." He said, accentuating every well, his British accent making it sound melodramatic. "If it isn't Mademoiselle Troublemaker." He looked down on me, (I was only five, five) dark curls, obscuring his eyes. "When was the last time I saw you?" he asked cocking his head to the side, his grin mischievous.

"Yesterday." I retorted, rolling my eyes "Might I ask, why you aren't in class?"

"Why do you ask, may you, if you were going to ask already?" he said, crossing his hands about his chest. The grey sweater that he wore over the blue Darvey school uniform shirt tightened, and I remembered my first day here when I saw that uniform.

I thought I'd die when I heard Headmistress Mort step up on the podium in the pristine auditorium and say, "Young ladies and gentlemen. You have received admission to one of the noblest schools in the country and thus, here at The Darvey Imperial Academic Institution, we expect nothing less than the best from you. You are of esteem and class and you will act same." She then scanned the crown with her laser eyes and recommenced, "your academic performance is at the zenith of our expectations for you here, not only your moral and self-growth, you are all expected to maintain a 2.5 GPA." With that, everyone in the auditorium became flabbergasted, but the lady continued nonetheless, unfazed. "And to matters regarding dress-" At the time I was wearing one of my signature T's, on it was printed the words in playful script 'Romeo and Juliet wouldn't work out'.

"Jade, Jade", Max's words awoke me from my reverie, "I was asking you what ol' Mort said to you in there?"

"Oh, the usual, I need to stop acting so recalcitrant and start epitomizing what a Darvey student should be," I lied, not meeting his eyes, "and you didn't tell me why you aren't in class." I looked at him then only to see a corner of his mouth turn up.

"I told Mr. Brun that I had to go to the little lads' room and he obliged."

"Just like that?" I asked incredulously.

"Just like that"
"But Brun is like a prison warden"

"The perks of being Maximus Lockwood Junior, the third, my dear friend, so even though I'm not as good as you", he bumped me on the shoulder "I get away with things too."

"So are you still coming to home with me today for Christmas break? I know it's not that good with you and your father since you know..."

"Yeah, I'm still up for it. See you later." He gave me a little hug and then walked down the corridor. I don't know where to.

Perhaps to Monica.