Chapter 33: Bringing The Fight Home

"The traveler... What's happening to it?!" Taiki and Ghost ask as he, Spe-7 and Suzuka close in on the city walls. The cage around the traveler appears to be sapping something out of it much to his horror, and Spe-7 immediately calls Zavala.

"Spe-7 to Zavala! Come in!" Spe-7 says. "What's going on out there?!"

"Spe?! Thank the light you three are here!" Zavala replies.

"Watch out! Rocket headed right for us!" Suzuka shouts as the three immediately bail and land.

"The darkness in this area is mixing with corrupt light... We can't use this to revive you... I don't know if we can even heal grave wounds with this..." Ghost mumbles.

"Are you three still with us?!" Zavala asks.

"We're fine yes!" Suzuka replies. "What about the traveler?!"

"That's why we're here, to end this madness!" Zavala says. "Ikora and I are verging on the rally point, Cayde is already there."

"He has the Vex teleporter, so we can use it to jump to the traveler... If we can make it there alive." Ikora replies.

"Look out! Cabal on the horizon!" Taiki calls out as he begins plugging holes through the charging cabal.

"Hawthorne here! The Red Legion is using these energy barriers to try and funnel us into kill boxes. Unfortunately for them I can hack into these and bring those barriers down for a short period of time. Just let me know if you run into one and I can knock it out." Hawthorne says as Spe-7 finishes mowing down the rest of the attacking cabal and charges forward. It's not long before they run into a barrier, and a bunch of war beasts are waiting for them.

"Well... That's going to be fun..." Taiki mumbles as the war beasts charge at him. Spe-7 quickly moves in, mowing down as many as she can with her minigun, but some do manage to evade the hailstorm of bullets and one of them manages to rip Taiki's left arm clean off!

"ARGH!!!" Taiki screams out as what's left of his arm sparks and seeps out what appears to be blood.

"Taiki!" Suzuka shouts as she rushes over and kills the war beast that tore his arm off. "Are you okay?!"

"Gah..." Taiki grumbles. "That really hurt..."

"I don't think I could heal that- even if the traveler was free." Ghost says.

"Come in! What happened?!" Zavala asks.

"I just got my arm ripped off!" Taiki replies.

"We're down a man, I repeat we're down a man." Zavala broadcasts. "Taiki, stick to your two friends here, you can still help us out."

"Roger that." Taiki replies.

"Ow! Son of a-" Cayde cuts himself off and Taiki hears him shooting a cabal with his gun as they continue to move and run into another barrier.

"Damn..." Taiki says as he holds onto his severed arm. "Hopefully Cayde knows something about this... Incoming!"

"Stay back, we got this." Suzuka says as she and Spe-7 make short work of the cabal guarding the barrier.

"Cayde? How are you doing over there?" Taiki asks.

"Not good!" Cayde shouts back. "I can either work on this teleporter or shoot cabal, but not both because THEY JUST SHOT OFF MY ARM!"

"Well I just had my arm torn off!" Taiki replies. "I can't do much either!"

"We're at the rally point! We'll defend as best as we can until you three can get here!" Zavala says as the trio manage to climb onto a roof. It's then that Ghost realizes just what's happening to the traveler.

"No..." Ghost mumbles. "I think Ghaul found a way to sap the light out of the traveler... We have to stop him before it's too late!"

"I read you loud and clear!" Spe-7 replies as the trio begin roof hopping to try and reach the vanguard. It's made very clear though that the cabal are doing everything they can to stop them as there are phalanxes and a new kind of cabal on the rooftops. This new cabal unit carries around a gigantic flamethrower, and when Spe-7 gets too close it performs a compression blast, sending her flying. "WHOA!"

"I got you!" Suzuka shouts as she catches Spe-7 and stops her from falling off the roof while Taiki manages to put a bullet through the cabal flamethrower's backpack, causing it to explode and take out the nearby phalanx in the explosion.

"I almost got it!" Cayde says, but suddenly an explosion can be heard. "WHOA!"

"Cayde!" Taiki shouts.

"I'm good! No damage whatsoever but a grenade nearly exploded next to us!" Cayde replies. "I think the cabal's blades double as bombs!"

Well... That's not good at all..." Taiki mumbles as the trio sees the vanguard just off in the distance- surrounded by cabal. The head honcho of the group sports a gigantic minigun while centurions and the flamethrower units look ready to blast them all to kingdom come- only for Spe-7 to unleash all of her solar energy and nail them with flaming horseshoes. The minigun cabal is killed, leaving the others distracted and open to Suzuka's void charged hurricane kick, but it's clear that Zavala and Ikora are completely drained.

"The teleporter is up!" Cayde says. "But you, Taiki, are in no condition to go fight Ghaul."

"Neither are you." Taiki replies, and Cayde looks at him with an expression that says touche.

"Spe, Suzuka, we need you to save the traveler." Zavala says. "Take down Ghaul and free it!"

"You got it!" Spe and Suzuka reply simultaneously as they rush through the teleporter, leaving Taiki to help watch over the vanguard.

"Hopefully those two will be able to do it." Taiki mumbles.

"They learned from you. If you trust your skills, you can trust theirs." Zavala replies. "The only thing we can do now, is wait."